Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur 11.4 download hangs with "About 15 minutes" remaining.

Big Sur 11.4 download hangs with "About 15 minutes remaining." message.

This has happened repeatedly, and I've left it alone for at least an hour each time. Tried it with a direct ethernet drop as well as with 5G wi-fi, cold started twice, left it to load overnight, etc.

The nice technician at Apple Support wasn't aware of any issues when I called yesterday (5/26/2021).

Any ideas?

Mac mini, macOS 11.3

Posted on May 27, 2021 6:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 27, 2021 12:59 PM

I shut down and restarted everything, several times, to no avail. FWIW, the router was new last week, high-speed Xfinity connection. On a chat with Apple Support, however, I found that I had a huge number of old AV and VPN software that I didn't realize was still active (or maybe it wasn't). Trashed it all and was eventually able to get 11.4 downloaded.

Time Machine backup was already in place but I didn't think it necessary to make a bootable installer.

Thanks!

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 27, 2021 12:59 PM in response to PRP_53

I shut down and restarted everything, several times, to no avail. FWIW, the router was new last week, high-speed Xfinity connection. On a chat with Apple Support, however, I found that I had a huge number of old AV and VPN software that I didn't realize was still active (or maybe it wasn't). Trashed it all and was eventually able to get 11.4 downloaded.

Time Machine backup was already in place but I didn't think it necessary to make a bootable installer.

Thanks!

May 27, 2021 1:41 PM in response to GringoViejo

You might try the following:

#1 - boot into Safe Mode according to Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing the following; 
• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed
• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)
• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically
• Disables user-installed fonts 
• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

#2 - go to the App Store, search for and download the full Big Sur installer.

#3 - run the installer from the Safe Mode.

I've had better luck goring thru the App store than thru the System/Software Update preference pane.

May 27, 2021 6:27 AM in response to GringoViejo

This method may seem unnecessary but sometimes the Router Restart clears Network issues from ISP to Apple Servers

Shutdown Router. Shutdown computer and disconnect all External Drives. Restart Router. Connect to Router via Ethernet Cable. If via Wifi - Disconnect all other Devices using the Wifi - want the Maximum Bandwidth only for this computer. Restart computer in  Safe Mode. It does a Repair Disk, Clear System Cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and Fonts. Will load slowly - Normal. Once Logged in - open Apple Apps Store and  Get the Full Version of Big Sur. It will take some time and several pauses will occur - normal. Countdown clock may say 15 minutes but in Real time may be 30 minutes. Same goes for clock at 10 minutes could be 20 minutes in Real time. Eventually , Full Installer will download and a New Application in Applications Folder will present called Install Big Sur. Stop there and perform a Time Machine Backup. If desired - have an External Drive - Copy & Paste the Install Big Sur Application to external drive for future usage - making a Bootable Installer. Now run the Installer.

Have found this method more reliable than the Software Update which is very iffy at best

Are there any AntiVirus, Disk Cleaner, Optimizers, Defrag, VPNs etc installed which should be removed as per Developers Instructions. They are useless, unneeded, cause havoc and interfere with the normal operation of the OS and may even Corrupt the OS requiring a Reinstallation.

May 27, 2021 6:28 AM in response to GringoViejo

If it is happening with direct ethernet and you don't have proxies, or System Preferences -> Profiles, or file vault interfering, or VPN, and no other software is running, and you've tried to reload it after deleting all components in the Applications folder,

then what the problem is, is probably the traffic on Apple's servers.

Being it is only 3 days since release, that's entirely possible.

But this is something you really need to also report to AppleCare directly.

and submit feedback to them http://www.apple.com/feedback/

Prior to April 27th this year, updates came at least on the download server on the website for Catalina and earlier, but Big Sur began the software update tool only method of running software updates. Unfortunately this has put all the eggs in one basket.

Big Sur 11.4 download hangs with "About 15 minutes" remaining.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.