Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cellular Update Failed on iPhone 12 Pro update to iOS 14.6

Hi,

I have a new iPhone 12 Pro - received as a present 19 days ago. After receiving the phone I migrated everything from my old iPhone 7 and performed an iOS update.

Yesterday at work I received a screen notification on the iPhone to the effect that cellular functions and wifi would not function until an iOS update was performed. My job requires continuous connectivity and text messages for 2-step verification so this was and is a huge problem.

I cancelled or agreed to the on-screen notification and checked in settings and found an update to iOS 14.6 was pending, having just been released, so agreed to start the update. After that things only got worse. My phone hung on "verifying update" all day. I could see email notifications arriving on the screen but the "verifying update" message overrode everything and the screen was non responsive. I only have guest wifi service at work but the problem continued at home with home wifi network accessibility. There was no cellular connectivity. The phone would not even switch off. After reading Apple support I managed to restart the device by rapidly pressing the up volume, down volume and then holding right side button.

After restarting the phone the update verification processed within minutes and the update began installing. However after updating to iOS 14.6 I received another message stating that "Cellular Update Failed" and that "Your iPhone cannot make and receive calls or access cellular data until it has been updated". It was already up to date, so I followed the "learn more" button and was directed to the website:

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT208733

"If you see an Update Failed or Apple Pay Not Available alert after iOS update or restart"

"Cellular Update Failed".

I followed the advice and connected my phone to my Mac, backed-up my phone and then on the Mac performed Command-click Check for Update. I got the response that the iPhone is up to date.

I then clicked the link for persisting problems and was told I needed Apple Support, but also that "Apple support options are currently limited. Thank you for your patience and understanding."

Is my only option now to bring in the iPhone for repair? We are still under a pandemic stay at home order, but I urgently need the iPhone to perform clinical work. Am considering switching back to my old iPhone at this point..

Thanks for any help,

Rodger

iPhone 12 Pro

Posted on May 27, 2021 6:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 30, 2021 6:53 AM

Thank you. I tried this 2 days ago and it worked:

-disabled Find My iPhone

-restored iPhone to factory default

-restored settings and data from back-up

-enabled Find My iPhone

I have cellular connectivity again. Everything's been working as it should for the past 36 hours.

Am still a little concerned that there may be some faulty hardware in the new phone - after all how did all this happen within 3 weeks of routine use? Will keep an eye out and contact Apple if further concerns, but now all seems good.

thanks for your suggestion,

Rodger

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 30, 2021 6:53 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Thank you. I tried this 2 days ago and it worked:

-disabled Find My iPhone

-restored iPhone to factory default

-restored settings and data from back-up

-enabled Find My iPhone

I have cellular connectivity again. Everything's been working as it should for the past 36 hours.

Am still a little concerned that there may be some faulty hardware in the new phone - after all how did all this happen within 3 weeks of routine use? Will keep an eye out and contact Apple if further concerns, but now all seems good.

thanks for your suggestion,

Rodger

May 28, 2021 8:35 AM in response to rodger1970

Hi rodger1970, 

Thank you for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. 

From your post, we see that you have an issue with a cellular update failing message on your iPhone. We want to help. To make sure that everything is being covered, please review the article that you reference in your post again about your cellular update failing.

If none of those steps help and you have already reached out to your carrier, you can  Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Best Regards.

Cellular Update Failed on iPhone 12 Pro update to iOS 14.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.