Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

dragging icon to dock won't open file if the app is already open

2020 M1 MBA running 11.3.1

when I drop a document on an app icon in the dock, the file doesn't open if the app is running.

Instead I get the below image - which seems to be a list of past documents the app has opened. If the app is closed the document opens normally. I tried disabling "Force Click" on the trackpad, following another thread on the help board, but that didn't work.

If an app is **not** running dragging a document onto the dock icon works normally.

Posted on May 27, 2021 8:56 AM

Similar questions

6 replies

May 27, 2021 9:02 AM in response to hoodsmom

Your image isn’t showing. If you pasted it in, that doesn’t work. You need to use the Image insert burton in the Toolbar.

However, it sounds like you are pressing to hard invoking Force Touch from a Trackpad gesture. Force Touch on the Icon in the Dock will show the Recent Documents.

It could also be you are just hovering too long. I’m not at a Mac at the Moment to evaluate the various options.

May 27, 2021 10:46 AM in response to dialabrain

Thanks. I was using a very light touch (and I tried disabling Force Click), but I have 3-finger drag enabled and I've been trying to use it as much as possible to spare the spring in my trackpad. There must be something about 3-finger drag that increases the amount of time the OS interprets as hovering, because no matter how quickly I let go when dragging with 3-fingers, I can't get a doc to open with drag-and-drop (I have spring-loaded folders set to as short as possible BTW). But if I switch to clicking the bottom left corner and doing the drag and drop with 2 fingers, drag and drop works as expected.

dragging icon to dock won't open file if the app is already open

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.