Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Podcast is causing iPhone 12 Pro Max overheating in iOS 14.6

Hi there,

I updated my 12-Pro-Max to 14.6 and suffered the amazing battery drain and overheating "only" when using Apple Podcast. It was even too hot to operate normally and needed to cool down. As soon as I turn off Apple Podcast from the background. It becomes a perfect phone and system. Now it's complete removed to prevent my unconsciously opening Apple Podcast.

I am a heavy podcast listener with Apple Podcast, which always has a podcast sync problem among my MBP and iPad (those I have listened to months ago on iPhone remain unplayed in MBP and iPad). Thus, I have to use only my iPhone to listen. Now, I have no choice but to switch to Spotify, which is completely an unfamiliar environment. Hope there's a chance to fix it before I get used to Spotify and pass the point of no return.

JB

iPhone 12 Pro Max

Posted on May 27, 2021 10:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 5, 2021 10:21 AM

Please submit thatto Apple at Apple Feedback, https://www.apple.com/feedback/apple-podcasts/

The Apple Podcasts app is still bug-ridden. I’m sorry podcast users have had to serve as guinea pigs for such a flawed version of the Podcast app, it doesn’t make sense to invest time trying to answer questions about such an unpredictable piece of software.

On the Apple Podcasts Server side new episodes for some Shows are listed three days after they are available on TuneIn, Stitcher, SoundCloud, etc.

On the Apple Podcasts app side:

• Episodes sometimes mark themselves as played after just a few seconds,

• some Shows do not list the most recent unplayed episodes even when the Show settings are chosen to do so.

• Station lists sometimes do not list unplayed episodes available in Show lists, even though the Station settings do not limit episodes,

• some episodes download once in Show lists, others simply do not, even the toggle for Automatic Downloads in Show settings is On,

• the app causes a heating problem and excessive battery draining, particularly when select other apps are open in the background or foreground,

• a change in key default settings in the iOS 14.5 Podcasts app upgrade caused numerous unwanted automatic downloads in Shows with tens or hundreds of episodes.

Hopefully, some heads have rolled for those responsible, clearer thinking people have replaced them and the bugs will be straightened out soon. Apple is an excellent company which has made this experience frustrate us more.

34 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 5, 2021 10:21 AM in response to JBenProvence

Please submit thatto Apple at Apple Feedback, https://www.apple.com/feedback/apple-podcasts/

The Apple Podcasts app is still bug-ridden. I’m sorry podcast users have had to serve as guinea pigs for such a flawed version of the Podcast app, it doesn’t make sense to invest time trying to answer questions about such an unpredictable piece of software.

On the Apple Podcasts Server side new episodes for some Shows are listed three days after they are available on TuneIn, Stitcher, SoundCloud, etc.

On the Apple Podcasts app side:

• Episodes sometimes mark themselves as played after just a few seconds,

• some Shows do not list the most recent unplayed episodes even when the Show settings are chosen to do so.

• Station lists sometimes do not list unplayed episodes available in Show lists, even though the Station settings do not limit episodes,

• some episodes download once in Show lists, others simply do not, even the toggle for Automatic Downloads in Show settings is On,

• the app causes a heating problem and excessive battery draining, particularly when select other apps are open in the background or foreground,

• a change in key default settings in the iOS 14.5 Podcasts app upgrade caused numerous unwanted automatic downloads in Shows with tens or hundreds of episodes.

Hopefully, some heads have rolled for those responsible, clearer thinking people have replaced them and the bugs will be straightened out soon. Apple is an excellent company which has made this experience frustrate us more.

Jul 19, 2021 5:02 PM in response to JBenProvence

Folks, iOS 14.7 has been released. Here're the release notes:

• MagSafe Battery Pack support for iPhone 12, iPhone 12 mini, iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro Max
  • Apple Card Family adds the option to combine credit limits and share one co-owned account with an existing Apple Card user
  • Home app adds the ability to manage timers on HomePod
  • Air quality information is now available in Weather and Maps for Canada, France, Italy, Netherlands, South Korea, and Spain
  • Podcasts library allows you to choose to see all shows or only followed shows
  • Share playlist menu option missing in Apple Music
  • Dolby Atmos and Apple Music lossless audio playback may unexpectedly stop
  • Battery service message that may have disappeared after reboot on some iPhone 11 models is restored
  • Braille displays could show invalid information while composing Mail messages

This version doesn't seem to address our problem. Honestly, I do not have the courage to try Apple Podcast again, with the great worry of damaging the battery.

Aug 11, 2021 12:02 AM in response to JBenProvence

I could solve that issue and got my podcast app to run smooth and not overheating my phone again.

(using iPhone 11+iOS14.6)

I am following many podcast series.

the thing I noticed is, when starting podcast it instantly starts to download a ton of new episodes of my series. Which sets the phone under heavy load.

so I did the following:

1. “go to media library-> download “ and stop all current downloads
  2. closed the app and did. that a second time, but unfortunate podcast will continue to download new episodes in the background.
  3. So I went through my media library: “long tap” a series -> go to settings -> remove automatic downloads. I did that for every series. So like 80 times or something.
  4. go to the iphone settings -> podcast app. And disable automatic downloads when following.
  5. i also disabled “download saved episodes”
  6. since I listen on iPhone only, I disabled “synchronize podcast”

Hope that helps 💪🤞

Aug 11, 2021 5:15 AM in response to steffmueller

Here's a solution that really solves the problem:

1. Delete Apple's podcast app.
  2. Download "Overcast" from App store
  3. Go to Overcast settings and select universal download/delete preferences
  4. If you don't care for Overcast, there are many other highly-rated podcast apps that have better features than Apple's PC app- and won't burn up your battery.

May 28, 2021 9:45 AM in response to JBenProvence

I’ve noticed an overheating problem to when using Podcast app, though not always. It seems to occurr when I am also using another app such as the photos app. If I set the phone down put in sleep mode, while continuing to play podcasts, it cools down quickly.

Over my seven iPhones we have had several bouts of apps generating too much heat. I’m sure Apple will get to the bottom of this one pretty quickly.

Jun 5, 2021 5:16 PM in response to cyberbiker

Wow, I have same all sorrow in my heart with your descriptions on Apple Podcast.

Before 14.6, I was still using it with my muscle memory and marking those ghost episodes as played while watching Netflix. However, this overheating and battery drain problem is practically unbearable. Since it's been unsolvable for weeks, I am getting used to Spotify. Hope one day I can get back to Apple Podcast.

Thank you very much for sharing, cyberbiker. I just tried to submit this feedback to the link.

Well, ironically, when needing to specify the os versions, the problematic ones (14.6) do not appear in the list. hah.

Jun 11, 2021 12:22 PM in response to JBenProvence

Since I updated to iOS 14.6, I've been having the same issue with my iPhone 12. I typically play podcasts for my entire workday. Since the update, my phone has been super warm, not with charging but just when using this app and having very little if anything else running in the background. Very frustrating and I will likely also switch to Spotify even though I don’t like it for podcasts.

Jun 15, 2021 7:51 AM in response to JBenProvence

I have the same issue with my iPhone 11 Pro Max. The battery life screen even “admitted” (ha!) that the podcast app used 40% of my battery in 24 hrs. I switched to Overcast for now because I saw that it is recommended, but I really don’t want to have to pay $10/yr for no ads and extra storage. I already have Amazon prime so maybe I’ll try their music app. Although the Apple podcast app has always had weaknesses, it’s what I’m used to and need it back working properly.

Jun 15, 2021 7:23 PM in response to JBenProvence

So I've had this issue for a while now with this particular app but not nearly as bad as it is now. No matter if I have anything else running in the background, the app will burn 1% every minute a podcast is playing.

I have to have my phone plugged into a fast charger in order to have my phone actually charge while playing a podcast. If I use a magsafe or qi charger, it will actually lose battery life.

It's crazy how bad this is.

Jun 15, 2021 9:02 PM in response to JBenProvence

One more thing to add. After I closed the Apple podcast app, my phone was still hot and the battery usage was still indicating that the app was using the battery. I noticed in the podcast app settings that background app refresh was marked to “on”. I switched it off and turned off “sync podcasts” just to be safe, and that made a huge improvement. I will continue to use the Overcast app only until I see an announcement that Apple has corrected all of this. In the meantime, I do not want my phone attempting to download subscribed podcasts in the background. I wonder if it has been constantly checking for new podcasts and/or downloading/overwriting in a loop.

Jun 22, 2021 8:12 AM in response to JBenProvence

I have the iPhone SE 2020 and Apple Podcasts eat up my battery and also cause the phone to get hot. I’ve talked to Apple Support. They cannot find any issues with my phone and/or battery. They suggested I replace the battery; however, IDK if I want to until this issue is corrected. I love the Apple Podcast app and don’t care for Spotify. I’m doing Audible for now. So sad

Apple Podcast is causing iPhone 12 Pro Max overheating in iOS 14.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.