Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airdrop Save As gone?

My Airdrop on the Mac no longer asks where to Save it, it only gives me the option to Open the file. And if it's an image, it opens in Preview and then closes after a minute or so. Files do end up in my Downloads.

I miss the option to Save It. Easier for my workflow.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.14

Posted on May 28, 2021 1:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 28, 2021 2:10 PM

Receive items using AirDrop

When someone uses AirDrop to send an item to you on your Mac, you can choose whether to accept and save it.

If you send an item from one device to another (for example, from your iPhone to your Mac), and you’re signed in to iCloud using the same Apple ID on both devices, the item is automatically accepted and saved.

1. In the AirDrop notification on your Mac, click the Accept pop-up menu, then choose an option.
  2. Look for the item in your Downloads folder or the app you saved the item to.

If someone who wants to send you a file can’t see your Mac, make sure you’ve set it up to allow others to send items to you using AirDrop.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 28, 2021 2:10 PM in response to Juan Cano1

Receive items using AirDrop

When someone uses AirDrop to send an item to you on your Mac, you can choose whether to accept and save it.

If you send an item from one device to another (for example, from your iPhone to your Mac), and you’re signed in to iCloud using the same Apple ID on both devices, the item is automatically accepted and saved.

1. In the AirDrop notification on your Mac, click the Accept pop-up menu, then choose an option.
  2. Look for the item in your Downloads folder or the app you saved the item to.

If someone who wants to send you a file can’t see your Mac, make sure you’ve set it up to allow others to send items to you using AirDrop.

May 29, 2021 2:53 PM in response to BDAqua

Thanks but, I don't have an issue finding the file. Like I mentioned it goes into my downloads. But it's added an extra two steps to click open, then it opens in whatever software it feels like it, then I have to Save As. It was much simpler when I AirDropped and the Mac would ask me what to do with the file: Accept and Save.

Again, it seems the "Accept" step is gone and all I can choose is "Open", per the initial screenshot.

Thanks

May 29, 2021 3:53 PM in response to BDAqua

Thank you; but i think the issue that I am asking for help is that Airdrop has lost the ability to ask me to Save the File somewhere at first interaction. It only allows Open. That is what I am trying to solve. Your suggestion while helpful still has the file opening in a software when all I want to do is save to a specific folder without having to Open the file first.

Airdrop Save As gone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.