Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I did a software update and now I'm locked out of my Macbook Pro.

I did a software update and now I'm locked out of my Macbook Pro. It allowed me to go onto my apple ID and change the password, but it still doesn't work, and I can't open the device. What do I do?

MacBook Pro 15″, 10.15

Posted on May 29, 2021 5:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 29, 2021 7:54 AM

Shutdown and disconnect all external drives. Connect to charger. Restart and immediately hold Command + r - Recovery Mode. Top Menu Bar look for Utilities >> Terminal and type without quotation marks ' resetpassword " as one word , no spaces.

The press Return key and follow the prompts. Remember the New Password as this will be required on next boot-up.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 29, 2021 7:54 AM in response to marciaatpleasanthouse

Shutdown and disconnect all external drives. Connect to charger. Restart and immediately hold Command + r - Recovery Mode. Top Menu Bar look for Utilities >> Terminal and type without quotation marks ' resetpassword " as one word , no spaces.

The press Return key and follow the prompts. Remember the New Password as this will be required on next boot-up.

I did a software update and now I'm locked out of my Macbook Pro.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.