Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"You cannot copy some of these items because their names are the same as other items in the destination"

Ok, this is extremely frustrating.

I have photos which i downloaded from Google Photo. They are a reduced size. I later found that i had copied the exact same photos out to my Synology NAS. Rather than remove the Google Photos , I am trying to overwrite the Google Photos with the better (bigger) version (Because there may be some Photos that Google did enhancements to I don't want to wipe out the entire folder and then copy these files over).. but it won't let me because they are the same. Why doesn't it give me the option to OVERWRITE?!?!?! I understand that Unix file system is case sensitive and Windows isn't. I understand that i am overwriting the files. The only options given in this dialog are STOP and SKIP. Neither of these help me to accomplish what i am trying to do.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.3

Posted on May 29, 2021 9:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 29, 2021 2:18 PM

I was not aware you could choose either. It turns out it was the extension was the only thing. I was so focused on the filename.. i was ignoring the extension... which was lowercase on the local drive and all uppercase on the Synology. Used Finder to do a Find-And-Replace on the extension part to make them all uppercase... and was able to copy the files over (overwriting the ones there). Yes on the Google Photos reduces the size.. that is why i was wanting to bring the files i had on my Synology (full size) to overwrite the ones i had downloaded from Google Photos. I am glad i was backing everything up to the Synology.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 29, 2021 2:18 PM in response to BDAqua

I was not aware you could choose either. It turns out it was the extension was the only thing. I was so focused on the filename.. i was ignoring the extension... which was lowercase on the local drive and all uppercase on the Synology. Used Finder to do a Find-And-Replace on the extension part to make them all uppercase... and was able to copy the files over (overwriting the ones there). Yes on the Google Photos reduces the size.. that is why i was wanting to bring the files i had on my Synology (full size) to overwrite the ones i had downloaded from Google Photos. I am glad i was backing everything up to the Synology.

"You cannot copy some of these items because their names are the same as other items in the destination"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.