Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ios 14.6 on ipad

since I downloaded this version, I think that I have been hacked through access to private network in my settings. All of the private addresses are different from my wifi private address and keep changeing

At first I thought it was through the Blue tooth settings because I have an external blue tooth speaker and an external blue tooth mouse because of the strange behavior sometimes with the mouse and the appearance of MaxBuzz, a tracker in my settings.

When I reboot my ipad, I notice that in the wifi settings bogus website called ‘PitofWifi’ loads. and disappears.

How can I be sure that someone outside of my private address?

Posted on May 29, 2021 10:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 29, 2021 1:49 PM

Your iPad is no less secure today than it was prior to the update to iPadOS14. However, your iPad is now better able to detect and bring to your attention security deficiencies of your WiFi network and iPad settings - these most often being due to your WiFi network/router running older security standards and protocols.

This support page will describe the more secure (recommended) settings for WiFi:

Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points – Apple Support

It is possible that your WiFi Router is too old to be (or not capable of being) configured for more secure settings. As such, you can either configure the most secure settings that your Router will support - or consider replacing your Router with something more advanced that provides better security configuration options. 

Whilst WPA3 is the newest standard, you should aim to use WPA2 (AES-PSK) as a minimum. Some Routers seemingly continue to support the insecure/deprecated TKIP standards - even when apparently configured for WPA2 operation; TKIP will definitely cause a security warning to appear. Be aware that if you are using a WiFi network extender, these may continue to use weaker security standards - and continue to trigger a warning.

There is a also new privacy feature included within iOS/iPadOS14 that hides your physical MAC Address - and instead uses a randomly selected Private MAC Address. This feature can be enabled/disabled on your iPhone/iPad for each configured WiFi Network. This feature also has bearing upon the appearance of the Weak Security notifications.

More information about this new feature can be found here:

Use private Wi-Fi addresses in iOS 14, iPadOS 14 and watchOS 7 – Apple Support

If you are unable to employ more secure security settings on your WiFi network, you might consider replacement of your WiFi network equipment, such as your WiFi Router, with more advanced equipment. However, if the router is provided by your ISP, this may not be practical proposition. A potentially cheaper and more flexible approach might be to add an additional upstream WiFi Router, of WiFi Access Point (AP) that meets the required standards.

I hope this information provides some helpful insight into ways to resolve the WiFi Security warnings that you might observe after updating to iPadOS14.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 29, 2021 1:49 PM in response to lyndafromkanata

Your iPad is no less secure today than it was prior to the update to iPadOS14. However, your iPad is now better able to detect and bring to your attention security deficiencies of your WiFi network and iPad settings - these most often being due to your WiFi network/router running older security standards and protocols.

This support page will describe the more secure (recommended) settings for WiFi:

Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points – Apple Support

It is possible that your WiFi Router is too old to be (or not capable of being) configured for more secure settings. As such, you can either configure the most secure settings that your Router will support - or consider replacing your Router with something more advanced that provides better security configuration options. 

Whilst WPA3 is the newest standard, you should aim to use WPA2 (AES-PSK) as a minimum. Some Routers seemingly continue to support the insecure/deprecated TKIP standards - even when apparently configured for WPA2 operation; TKIP will definitely cause a security warning to appear. Be aware that if you are using a WiFi network extender, these may continue to use weaker security standards - and continue to trigger a warning.

There is a also new privacy feature included within iOS/iPadOS14 that hides your physical MAC Address - and instead uses a randomly selected Private MAC Address. This feature can be enabled/disabled on your iPhone/iPad for each configured WiFi Network. This feature also has bearing upon the appearance of the Weak Security notifications.

More information about this new feature can be found here:

Use private Wi-Fi addresses in iOS 14, iPadOS 14 and watchOS 7 – Apple Support

If you are unable to employ more secure security settings on your WiFi network, you might consider replacement of your WiFi network equipment, such as your WiFi Router, with more advanced equipment. However, if the router is provided by your ISP, this may not be practical proposition. A potentially cheaper and more flexible approach might be to add an additional upstream WiFi Router, of WiFi Access Point (AP) that meets the required standards.

I hope this information provides some helpful insight into ways to resolve the WiFi Security warnings that you might observe after updating to iPadOS14.

May 29, 2021 11:20 AM in response to lyndafromkanata

You would be well advised to reset your network settings - which will clear all WiFi network information from your iPad. After the reset, you can rejoin your known networks as needed.

Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings

Be aware that if you are using the Private Address feature, the MAC Address used by your iPad will likely change with some regularity. This privacy feature is principally intended for use with Public (untrusted) networks - and may prove to be problematic on your home WiFi network.

ios 14.6 on ipad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.