Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Issues converting Pages document to Word

I have regular issues converting Pages documents to Word. I write my research in Pages, but most journal publishers only accept .doc or .docx files. When exporting to .docx, unexpected spaces often appear between the end of a word and a closing single apostrophe, like this

‘New Riddle of Induction ’

and the extra space is difficult to delete. If I insert the cursor and hit the backspace key, the last letter of the word (in this example, 'n') is deleted instead of the space.

Does anyone have any cues as to what is going on?

Thank you

Robert

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.3

Posted on May 29, 2021 10:20 PM

12 replies

May 30, 2021 3:57 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

Thank you for the reply, Tom, but I'm not going to do that.

Word has been unreliable with long and complex documents since the 1990s, and I see evidence from colleagues that it still is. Pages has been my trusty word processor ever since it came out, and I'm not going to go to the dark side. Better to endure the occasional conversion pain.

That being said, I find it unfathomably sad that deep into the 21st century, we would *still* be seeing this truly basic type of issue, and that neither Apple nor Microsoft seem able or willing to do much about it.

Robert

May 30, 2021 3:11 PM in response to robkowa

There is one other thing you might try which is a bit cumbersome but may work for you. Compose your document in Pages as you understandably prefer in the normal way. Download and install Libreoffice as was suggested by another post which is totally free. Libreoffice Writer will generally save Word documents that are much more likely to be compatible with Microsoft Word and display properly in Word than when exported from Pages and is more transparent and reliable on a Mac then is Microsoft Word (plus of course a whole lot cheaper). As a precaution copy your document and put in a folder on your desktop where it will be safe. Then, when you are ready to send the document to a publisher, return to the original document in Pages and export it not as a Word Doc but as a plain text file to your desktop or some folder. Then quit Pages, right click on the exported plain text Doc, click "open with", scroll down to Libreoffice and click it. What you should see when it opens is your document in plain text. Next click "select all" and change to your desired font, font size, sentence line spacing, etc. Then click file "save as"; when a save dialog box appears click the arrow where it says "text" and then click on Word 2007-365 Docx. Ignore any warnings or message that may appear. Then close Libreoffice, then open the Doc in Libreoffice and see if the problem you described is still present. Best of luck to you.

May 30, 2021 6:13 PM in response to robkowa

Sorry. Correction to what I posted earlier. Instead of exporting your document from Pages to Plain Text, you should export to RTF then follow the rest of the directions I outlined if you wish. If you export as Plain Text you will lose some formatting and things like bold and italic when you save a plain text doc as a Word Doc no matter what application you use.

May 31, 2021 7:15 AM in response to robkowa

When you have embedded objects in your Pages document, and a good example of this is any equation inserted by the equation editor, Pages will create an RTFD file on export to RTF. LibreOffice Writer v7.1.3.2 will not open RTFD files.

It will open that Pages document exported as Word .docx and the equation from Pages is an editable formula in Writer. But this keeps you in the Pages translation loop on export to Word, so it may or may not resolve the original issue of using Pages in stead of MS Word (or LibreOffice).

May 31, 2021 12:32 PM in response to VikingOSX

As always VikingOSX a very knowledgeable and worthwhile suggestion on your part. The only question I would have is whether or not Rob has Microsoft Office installed on his computer; if he does it is certainly worth trying. If he doesn't have Office then if I were him I would export his Pages document to PDF as you indicated then try uploading his PDF document to Google Drive (if he has gmail), then allow Google Docs to convert it to Google Docs format then download it from Google Drive to his computer as a Word Doc and see if it formats correctly. I have done this myself on occasion with acceptable results, but then, unlike Rob, the stuff I write does not usually contain graphs, tables, equations, etc. Just lots of words.

May 31, 2021 2:52 PM in response to VikingOSX

Absolutely correct VikingOSX about objects in the PDF. Of course, If Rob has Microsoft Office then the question of using Google Docs is moot. Last time I checked the least expensive Office for Mac was a one time payment of $149.99 or an annual subscription of $69.99 per month. For my purposes never saw the point of buying Office when there are reasonable alternatives available. But, for some Mac users, depending on the requirements of their job or situation, the only suitable app for document creation is Word.

Issues converting Pages document to Word

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.