Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

M1 MacBook Air Crashes and Restarts and Diagnostics Freezes

I bought M1 MacBook Air in February this year. For the last month and a half it's been crashing and restarting. I chatted with support and they suggested me running diagnostics which freezes and only responds to forced shutdown. Then they told me to erase and reinstall OS which didn't work. I tried repairing the disk, didn't work. Now I'm stuck with a machine that will crash and won't run diagnostics... Last two crash reports are attached.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.4

Posted on May 30, 2021 6:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 30, 2021 7:18 AM

Are there any USB devices connected to that Mac? If so try disconnecting them and determine if the KPs cease to occur. If they subside, reconnect those devices and test again.

If there are no USB devices connected, Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support and determine if the KPs occur while operating in that mode. Then, restart normally (not "Safe Mode") and test again.

If neither suggestion resolves the problem, contact Apple again and tell them to fix it, replace it, or refund your money.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 30, 2021 7:18 AM in response to Tilruin

Are there any USB devices connected to that Mac? If so try disconnecting them and determine if the KPs cease to occur. If they subside, reconnect those devices and test again.

If there are no USB devices connected, Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support and determine if the KPs occur while operating in that mode. Then, restart normally (not "Safe Mode") and test again.

If neither suggestion resolves the problem, contact Apple again and tell them to fix it, replace it, or refund your money.

Jun 20, 2021 12:27 PM in response to Tilruin

Hello,

Let me give an update on what happened in last 20 days or so. I tried every solution possible and at last support told me to go to a certified service (no Genius Bar in my town). I handed them my MacBook and they started running tests. Few days later they called me and told me they've changed the motherboard without even asking me. Turns out the error was caused because of faulty motherboard (which involves processor and RAM as well). I told them if the motherboard is faulty I want replacement and also exclaimed that they changed it without my permit. The service guys told me to call support. I called support. They told, they couldn't do anything but encouraged me to go to a Genius Bar in a nearby town. I found an opportunity and went to a Genius Bar. They couldn't help me with replacing. They told me they could only replace MacBooks within the first month of purchase (Heck, I've waited a month for the shipment), they also told if it was an iPhone they could've replaced it. So at the end of the day, my MacBook Air had its' motherboard changed. It's been a week and I haven't encountered any problem yet. However, I've been using it lightly because of all the fuss I've gone through.

I've bought this MacBook for music production purposes as I really like Logic Pro. I've lost a month and a half on that front. Other than that I was perfectly ok with my previous windows laptop. I've been using iPhones and iPads since 2012 (various Apple products like AirPods as well), MacBook was by far my worst experience and only big issue I've ever encountered. It makes me sad, to see, it is handled this way. All the support guys/ladies transferred me to each other like a ping pong ball. I don't know how many times I explained my case and got the same recommendations from different support staff. I don't think, whether rare or not, a problem should be handled this way and this slow. I was also frustrated with the support assuming I know nothing about computers. I know there are a lot of people like that. However, when they see I know what I'm talking about they could change their approach angle as well. Nevertheless, I am hopeful that this time I won't encounter any problems and return to my work. I hope others that have this problem would have a better experience than I had.

Cheers,

Jun 21, 2021 3:36 AM in response to Tilruin

That is not good customer support, really. Facing similar issues. Bought one M1 in March, it always froze, sent it back and got a new one because it was still within the 2 weeks after purchase. The new one worked fine (didnt connect it to anything because I read here that this might be problem, which shouldnt be!). Just recently, the new one also suddenly froze and turned of, nothing was connected to it. Apple Support said that a refund isnt possible because I have the M1 now for about 3 months. If I would known how much trouble this new Macbook is, I would not have bought it. Trying to work on my PhD while this thing shuts down randomly

M1 MacBook Air Crashes and Restarts and Diagnostics Freezes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.