Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple hardware diagnostics test stuck!!

Hello.

today my m1 macbook air suddenly crashed, got a partially pink screen and then restarted and said ‘problem found’. I was busy and couldnt read the description. Later that day i did an apple hardware diagnostics test. At first i got the pink screen and it shutdown. Then i tried again and the options window came up. However, The test has been stuck like this for about an hour now!

the trackpad is frozen, not clicking. Cant press restart or shutdown. The S or R keys are also not responsive.

what seems to be the problem?

How can i force quit this?

urgently need assistance, thanks.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.3

Posted on May 10, 2021 12:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 10, 2021 3:06 PM

Press and HOLD the power button until the MacBook shuts down (force-shutdown). You can then restart it normally, bypassing diagnostics.

I ran across this issue as well last week...running Diagnostics will freeze once the progress bar comes up. As you mentioned, the trackpad loses it's click and the system is basically frozen until you force-shutdown.

I had to take my MacBook Air M1 in to the Apple Store where they verified the issue with the frozen diagnostics and eventually fixed it (they had it for two-days) by re-flashing the firmware. The firmware is updated (if an update is required) when macOS is updated. There seems to be an issue with the firmware somehow getting corrupted on some M1 devices after (at least) Big Sur 11.3.1.

Make a Genius Bar reservation and have Apple fix it. Diagnostics is NOT supposed to crash...it's supposed to diagnose issues with the MacBook.

https://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 10, 2021 3:06 PM in response to Oya100

Press and HOLD the power button until the MacBook shuts down (force-shutdown). You can then restart it normally, bypassing diagnostics.

I ran across this issue as well last week...running Diagnostics will freeze once the progress bar comes up. As you mentioned, the trackpad loses it's click and the system is basically frozen until you force-shutdown.

I had to take my MacBook Air M1 in to the Apple Store where they verified the issue with the frozen diagnostics and eventually fixed it (they had it for two-days) by re-flashing the firmware. The firmware is updated (if an update is required) when macOS is updated. There seems to be an issue with the firmware somehow getting corrupted on some M1 devices after (at least) Big Sur 11.3.1.

Make a Genius Bar reservation and have Apple fix it. Diagnostics is NOT supposed to crash...it's supposed to diagnose issues with the MacBook.

https://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/

May 10, 2021 4:56 PM in response to Oya100

Hi,

The exact problems you described happened to me as well. I got some irregular crashes and after some reading decided to do the diagnostics. Diagnostics froze like you described. I erased and reinstalled OS. It didn’t help. Then, I contacted support. A nice lady, told me to try repairing the disk. It didn’t help with the diagnostics freeze. Then, I contacted again and finally support told me to revive or restore my Mac. The problem is revive is a two Mac job and I got only one. I don’t know whether crashes and diagnostics freeze is related but my biggest worry is that these are implication of hardware problem. Cause if it is software we could fix it eventually…

Anyone got an idea whether it is a hardware problem or software problem? I’m currently in lockdown due to COVID situation in my country so I can’t go anywhere to fix it. I want to have a good night’s sleep this keeps bugging me :(

Apple hardware diagnostics test stuck!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.