Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro External hard drive portability frustration

Hello, I searched extensively for an answer without results. I have a MacBook Pro 2019 16" with 1TB internal storage. Problem - MacBook internal storage is not enough (and seems to decrease every year) which mean I need external hard drives which mean MBP no longer portable! I've tried a peel and stick pocket but drives still disconnect every time I make a move. I have of cloud storage (both WAN and LAN) but cloud storage is clunky and inconvenient for many things. I've seen some crazy laptop cases and covers but none with built in hard drive holders.. I can't help but wonder why. I can't be the only person who wants to be able to use an external hard drive while on the go.

Does anyone have a solution for external hard drive mounting that will not ruin MBP portability?

Thanks.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.4

Posted on May 30, 2021 2:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 30, 2021 3:44 PM

There are many options out there for portability. Personally, what I have done, I purchased an M.2 NVMe drive and an external enclosure for that. It's very small and very portable and I use that as my external drive for my computer. I put the stuff on my computer that is really important that I need to use at any time. I then put what isn't needed every time I turn on my computer on the external drive. Things such as pictures and things like that that don't need access to every time the computer is powered on.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 30, 2021 3:44 PM in response to reademandweep

There are many options out there for portability. Personally, what I have done, I purchased an M.2 NVMe drive and an external enclosure for that. It's very small and very portable and I use that as my external drive for my computer. I put the stuff on my computer that is really important that I need to use at any time. I then put what isn't needed every time I turn on my computer on the external drive. Things such as pictures and things like that that don't need access to every time the computer is powered on.

Jun 15, 2021 12:47 PM in response to ZintainUSA

Thank you for the reply. Yes, I too have portable hard drives. I probably did not state my problem Clearly. My frustration is in physically transporting the MacBook with the drives connected. Sometimes I want to quickly move from my desk to a table. I’m not able to quickly grab the MacBook with the portable hard drives connected. I know how to safely disconnect them and I have explored options to Velcro the drives to the case of the MacBook. Still, I’m frustrated by being forced to use these workarounds. The whole point of a MacBook is portability But with the limited hard drive space, I lose much of the portability function.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Jun 15, 2021 1:02 PM in response to BobTheFisherman

Thanks. Yes I do that too but even working in the field for example, it’s difficult do use the laptop as intended (on lap) or in tight spaces (it is called lap-top for a reason). The lack of physical hard drive space forces me to use external hard drive’s which are small enough to transport, as you say but not secure. What’s supposed to be a laptop has limits of a desktop. I’m frustrated that I have to use clunky workarounds (Velcro, adhesive pocket etc.) on a $3k (supposed) laptop I was hoping someone has a more elegant solution.

thanks for you input.

Jun 20, 2021 6:58 AM in response to reademandweep

For true portability and speed, one option is to upgrade to a new MBP and max-out the internal storage. There are a couple of more cost-effective solutions... if you want portability at home, consider a network drive, where you can access files via wi-fi. Portable SSD's are fast but I agree—moving them about a house or office is a pain.

Perhaps the best (and cheapest) solution is to evaluate your organizational file structures so the projects you are working on are on your local drive and everything else is on a NAS drive or an external drive that is hooked up but only when needed.

MacBook Pro External hard drive portability frustration

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.