Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External Hard Drive

Hello, all! Not super tech savvy and wanted to see about suggestions for an external hard drive. I have a Lacie 1T that's actually be great...but it's totally full and I need something ASAP. We ordered a Passport (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08RX3TWJZ?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1 ) but I saw some folks have issues with MACs. I only need it as a local, but it also says support is going away (I'm not 100% clear if that's *only* for Cloud services. I don't want to keep something I can't get tech support for.)

The Lacie was a literal plug-in-and-it-works-with-TimeMachine. So I'm wondering if a larger size in the Lacie is a better choice.

I'd love feedback if any of you found something easy (requires little or no formatting - my Lacie did not) and reliable. Layman's terms would be appreciated! :)

Thanks!

iMac 27″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Feb 7, 2023 7:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2023 12:58 PM

The Lacie has worked great for me it's just totally full!

I like LaCie products, especially since they're sold at the Apple Store.

A large LaCie Mobile Drive Secure USB-C with Rescue - Apple or LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive - Apple would serve you well.

Jack

Similar questions

9 replies

Feb 7, 2023 9:44 AM in response to rkaufmann87

on OWC external SSDs. Since they have such a variety of drives I suggest you contact OWC's customer support and get their recommendation for the SSD model that would best suit your iMac model, work requirements and budget. 

I recommend drives from OWC (MacSales.com) as they have proven reliability, excellent customer support and warranties.  I have 9 OWC SSDs in a variety of enclosures and am just a very satisfied customer.

External Hard Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.