Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB Super Drive

My U SB SuperDrive worked fine with my previous MacBook but I can't get it to work on my new macbookPro

I have bought a Multifunction USB Hub but it keeps telling me that I need power to the usb but I can't find an adaptor that will allow me to provide power.

Can anyone help me please?

MacBook, macOS 10.13

Posted on May 30, 2021 5:43 PM

12 replies

May 31, 2021 12:16 PM in response to dennisfromtaree

Dennisfromtaree Said:

"USB Super Drive: My U SB SuperDrive worked fine with my previous MacBook but I can't get it to work on my new macbookPro: I have bought a Multifunction USB Hub but it keeps telling me that I need power to the usb but I can't find an adaptor that will allow me to provide power. Can anyone help me please?"

-------

What to Try:

Troubleshooting High-End External Power:

• Restart your Mac:

What happens when you restart your Mac with this plugged in? Does it then work? If so, then things needed to re-sync.

• Try Safe Mode:

Boot in Safe Mode [Hold Down: the shift key] upon boot. In Safe Mode, login items do not open at login, and corrupted files are reset. So, boot into it, and see if it then works.

• New Administrator User:

Try creating a new Administrator (for troubleshooting purposes). See if it then works. If it does work, then it is likely something misconfigured in the current user.

• External Powered USB Hub:

If you are connecting high powered devices, then use an external-powered USB hub. See this on Apple: Belkin USB 3.0 4-Port Hub + USB-C Cable - Apple

May 31, 2021 12:05 PM in response to dennisfromtaree

Hi dennisfromtaree,

Thanks for posting in the Apple Support Communities! We'd be glad to assist you with this. We understand that you're getting an error message that your Apple USB SuperDrive isn't getting enough power when connected to your Mac. If you haven't already, we'd recommend reviewing the information in If a Mac accessory needs more power or is using too much power. It's possible that your USB adapter isn't able to support your USB SuperDrive and you may need to test the issue out with another adapter to confirm.

All the best!

USB Super Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.