You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

The new iPad mini is available today. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad with red screen + purple stripes upon boot

I was on FaceTime when all of the sudden my iPad crashed, and upon booting looked like this. Every once in a while there would be a red screen that would flash as well. The iPad is free of damage and was functioning normally before it crashed. I tried restoring it using recovery mode with Finder on my Mac, but then the iPad died and isn’t charging anymore. Is it most likely done for or is there any hope to get it working again?

iPad Pro, iPadOS 14

Posted on May 30, 2021 10:50 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 31, 2021 12:47 AM

Your iPad may have suffered a GPU failure - or simply an unexpected software problem. A forced restart may be adequate in resolving the problem:

• On an iPad with a Home button: Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.
  • On other iPad models: Press and quickly release the volume up button, press and quickly release the volume down button, then press and hold the top button. When the Apple logo appears, release the button.

If the problem remains unresolved, you would be well advised to take your iPad along to the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store - where the technicians will be able to test and assess the problem.

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 31, 2021 12:47 AM in response to Tractor_Tippers

Your iPad may have suffered a GPU failure - or simply an unexpected software problem. A forced restart may be adequate in resolving the problem:

• On an iPad with a Home button: Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.
  • On other iPad models: Press and quickly release the volume up button, press and quickly release the volume down button, then press and hold the top button. When the Apple logo appears, release the button.

If the problem remains unresolved, you would be well advised to take your iPad along to the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store - where the technicians will be able to test and assess the problem.

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

iPad with red screen + purple stripes upon boot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.