Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

change default column width Finder list view

Any way to change the default column view in Finder when in list view? My first column is always wide, would like a little narrower.

Posted on May 31, 2021 8:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 31, 2021 8:16 AM

ptplans wrote:

Any way to change the default column view in Finder when in list view? My first column is always wide, would like a little narrower.

Ha ha—no way that I have figured out.

I would like my first column to open wider in list view....

Organize your files in the Finder on Mac - Apple Support

Get to know the Finder on your Mac - Apple Support

Change Finder preferences on Mac - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 31, 2021 8:16 AM in response to ptplans

ptplans wrote:

Ha ha—no way that I have figured out.

I would like my first column to open wider in list view....

Organize your files in the Finder on Mac - Apple Support

Get to know the Finder on your Mac - Apple Support

Change Finder preferences on Mac - Apple Support

May 31, 2021 12:29 PM in response to ptplans

I normally use Icon view mode. However, when I press ⌘+2 to enter List view, I can adjust the distance between the first and next column to a smaller gap and upon closing that (only) Finder Window, a new Finder window shows the smaller distance that I previously set. What you see here was originally much wider between the first two columns:

Big Sur 11.4

PS: **** site silently logged me out when I wanted to append that this is not a universal setting for any folder view.

change default column width Finder list view

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.