Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery at 80%

how can i make the phone charge past 80% in the day? I left the phone charging at 80% for over an hour and its still at 80%. Should i leave it charging till it reach 100% , even if it is still at 80% after 2 hours?

Posted on Jun 1, 2021 3:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 1, 2021 4:39 AM

Hello,

What you are describing is Optimized Battery Charging. It stops charging at 80% and then resumes charging based on your schedule. See this:

About Optimized Battery Charging on your iPhone

Good luck.

4 replies

Jun 1, 2021 6:14 AM in response to Frances Moana

Hello,

Actually, it is OK to leave it on the charger when it reaches 80%.

Note: Many people consider it a best-practice to put the phone on a charger overnight every night:

1. You start the new day with a fully charged phone
  2. iCloud backups occur automatically (assuming a Wi-Fi connection)
  3. Software updates occur automatically (assuming a Wi-Fi connection)
  4. If something bad happens overnight, you know where your phone is and it is at least partially charged 

Good luck.

Jun 1, 2021 7:01 AM in response to Frances Moana

Frances Moana wrote:

thank you sir.
help me understand correctly please. So when it reach 80% in familiar area. I should remove it from charging at 80% and consider it fully charge? And if i need to have it fully charge. I will just need to turn off the optimization? The battery is in good condition when this happens to my phone, right?

No, if you leave it on the charger it will reach 100%, but before doing so it will wait for the battery to cool down. Then it will resume at a much slower rate, tapering to 0 when the phone reaches 100%. You can still leave it on the charger at 100% if you don’t need to take it anywhere right away; this will help extend the life of the battery, because when it is plugged in and fully charged the external power source is operating the phone rather than the battery. This, over the long term, will reduce the number of charge cycles, which are the primary factor in capacity loss.

The best practice is to charge overnight with optimization enabled. That way it will stop at 80%, and power the phone from the external source for most of the night. It will resume to reach 100% around the time you get up and start using the phone again. If you don’t want to take this advice, but want to try to manage charging yourself, then turn off optimization. But you really can’t do a better job manually than the phone will do on its own.

Battery at 80%

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.