Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

alternative to using font book

I am trying to add a font directly into the fonts folder (system>library>fonts), but it is not allowing me to. Not sure why, because I have in the past. Does anyone know if something changed? or how to add fonts directly?

Mac Pro

Posted on Jun 1, 2021 8:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 1, 2021 8:46 AM

You can't make modifications to any folder inside /System. These are mounted read-only in Big Sur.

In any case, you should not. The correct place would be /Library/Fonts, and NEVER /System/Library/Fonts.

In any case, the proper way to handle fonts IS via Font Book.

EDIT: Font Book is already on your mac. Just press command-space and type Font

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 1, 2021 8:46 AM in response to lotus29

You can't make modifications to any folder inside /System. These are mounted read-only in Big Sur.

In any case, you should not. The correct place would be /Library/Fonts, and NEVER /System/Library/Fonts.

In any case, the proper way to handle fonts IS via Font Book.

EDIT: Font Book is already on your mac. Just press command-space and type Font

Jun 1, 2021 8:39 AM in response to lotus29

Use Font Book, or switch to Linux or BSD. Linux and BSD platforms will work better for you and for your system-operation preferences here. Those platforms are built to allow this and other direct modifications, and permit extensive source-level platform customization capabilities. macOS is designed to prevent users from causing themselves problems, and increasingly also to prevent malicious apps from causing corruptions or breaches. If you really want to do this with macOS, I expect you’ll have to override system integrity protection. Or use Font Book.

alternative to using font book

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.