Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 12 mini battery drain

Battery drain results in recharge every 12 hours, even with location services turned off, background refreshed turned off, etc., etc., etc. Even an 8% drain overnight. Anyone know if this is a software problem, or hardware ?

Thank you

iPhone 12 mini

Posted on Jun 1, 2021 12:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 1, 2021 5:55 PM

8% overnight is very good. But you should be charging it overnight.

The absolute best way to improve the life of your battery long term is to enable Optimized Battery Charging (Settings/Battery/Battery Health) and charge the device overnight, every night. The battery will fast charge to 80%, then pause. During the night the phone will use mains power instead of battery power, allowing the battery to “rest”, and thus reducing the need to charge the battery quite as often. The phone will resume charging to reach 100% when you are ready to use your phone; it will “learn” your usage pattern.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 1, 2021 5:55 PM in response to dewhelpmeplease

8% overnight is very good. But you should be charging it overnight.

The absolute best way to improve the life of your battery long term is to enable Optimized Battery Charging (Settings/Battery/Battery Health) and charge the device overnight, every night. The battery will fast charge to 80%, then pause. During the night the phone will use mains power instead of battery power, allowing the battery to “rest”, and thus reducing the need to charge the battery quite as often. The phone will resume charging to reach 100% when you are ready to use your phone; it will “learn” your usage pattern.

Jun 3, 2021 5:56 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Thank you sir for your insights. My "concern" is that my last iPhone (old 5s) actually had a better battery life/day than this one, with everything turned off or on on both phones the same. If I need to use this iphone 12 mini extensivly during the day, I may not be able to recharge it in time before the phone shuts off. On top of that, when I purchased the phone @ ATT, it only had 3% batter charge when I got home, which was only 5 minutes away, and didn't use it (I have read that iPhones come ready to use with 50% charge). So my thinking is maybe return it to ATT during the grace period. I just don't want a $700+ phone that works only when I'm near a place to charge it ..... I need it to be reliable. Thank you for your thoughts .... dew

Jun 5, 2021 11:27 AM in response to dewhelpmeplease

to Lawrence Finch who helped me ... Thanks again. I took the iphone 12 mini back (after 6 days of use and multiple recharging), but there was a $55 "restocking fee" from AT&T, so I told them (AT&T worker) that I did not want to replace it with another one, as the same thing might occur, and I would be out another $55. Called the "Loyalty and Retention" number that the worker gave me, suggesting I might get my $55 back, as I've been with them for well over 35 years. Sadly, the "retention person didn't seem to care. Unbelievable that a true problem with a piece of merchandise, that should be resolved between Apple and AT&T, is a means to get more money from a customer.

iPhone 12 mini battery drain

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.