Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

M1 MacBook Air not charging correctly

Hi,

Ever since I updated to the latest macOS update (macOS Big Sur 11.4), my M1 Mac will occasionally won't charge at nights when I plug it in. It comes up saying the battery is not charging under the battery icon in the menu bar.

Is this possibly a software issue or do I need to get a new charging cable for my M1 Mac?

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on Jun 1, 2021 3:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 2, 2021 4:17 AM

Startup in Safe mode. https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201262 Choose the appropriate method.

To leave Safe Mode, choose “Restart” at the bottom.

Quote:

Safe mode prevents your Mac from loading certain software when it starts up, including login items, system extensions not required by macOS, 

and fonts not installed by macOS. It also does a basic check of your startup disk, similar to using First Aid in Disk Utility.

And it deletes some system caches, including font caches and the kernel cache,

which will be created again automatically as needed.

• Get your Mac serviced: If the battery still won’t charge, your Mac may need to be serviced. Take your Mac to your local Apple Store or contact AppleCare. See Find how to service or repair your Mac.

If your Mac battery won’t charge

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 2, 2021 4:17 AM in response to Random4837

Startup in Safe mode. https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201262 Choose the appropriate method.

To leave Safe Mode, choose “Restart” at the bottom.

Quote:

Safe mode prevents your Mac from loading certain software when it starts up, including login items, system extensions not required by macOS, 

and fonts not installed by macOS. It also does a basic check of your startup disk, similar to using First Aid in Disk Utility.

And it deletes some system caches, including font caches and the kernel cache,

which will be created again automatically as needed.

• Get your Mac serviced: If the battery still won’t charge, your Mac may need to be serviced. Take your Mac to your local Apple Store or contact AppleCare. See Find how to service or repair your Mac.

If your Mac battery won’t charge

Jun 7, 2021 1:50 PM in response to Random4837

My Macbook Air M1 updated last week (Early June 2021) and ever since it won't charge if I plug it in. However, if I reboot with the power cord plugged in it seems to charge. The minute I unplug the cable and plug it back in, it never recognizes it.

Even if the battery gets down to below 10%, it just keeps draining with no charge unless I reboot.

I can only figure this is a software glitch that an update will fix soon. If not, I'll have to contact Apple support as this laptop is less than a month old at this point.

I'd be interested to know if a reboot works for OP and if it charges then.

M1 MacBook Air not charging correctly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.