Charging issue with 13 inch MacBook Pro M1

Recently since a couple of weeks ago, my mac has started behaving weirdly. When I connect the charger(Original) it shows charging but the battery keeps draining and sometimes there's an automatic connection and disconnection of the charger that happens. I have to restart my mac multiple times to actually get it to start charging again normally. However, when I connect the same charger to my iPad, it works fine. Can you tell me what the problem might be?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 14.0

Posted on Oct 18, 2023 10:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2023 5:35 PM

You may be seeing the Optimized charging at work. When enabled, macOS will drain the battery at times in order to exercise the battery to help to keep the battery healthy.

If battery charging is paused or on hold on your Mac - Apple Support

Change Battery settings on a Mac laptop - Apple Support

2 replies

Oct 18, 2023 10:12 AM in response to Varun_V

Check the charging cycles on Apple menu -> About This Mac -> System Report -> Hardware -> Power

Batteries - Apple tells you if you are running low on cycles.

Note if there is any case expansion that could be due to battery chemicals being imbalanced and causing the case to expand, especially around the wristpad.

Check for any signs of damage to the cable passing the power, and double check you have the correct power adapter:

Identify your Mac power adapter - Apple Support

Charging issue with 13 inch MacBook Pro M1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.