You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

StagedExtensions folder in "Macintosh HD > Library > StagedExtensions"

Are files in:- "Macintosh HD>Library>StagedExtensions" harmless and can they be left where they are ?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 1, 2021 8:59 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 2, 2021 12:58 AM

Hey again!

Were you able to use the uninstaller Avast came with? If not, I’d try running that, although you may need to reinstall it to get it, unless they provide it on their web site.

Does it give an error message when moving to the trash?

If you right click the file and select Get Info, what shows there? In particular the “Sharing and Permissions” section.

Did you quit all Avast processes first?:

Open /Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor.

Search “Avast” double click any related processes and select “Force Quit” then try deleting the file again.

I’m sure if it’s icon shows as you explained it’s fine though, but if concerned:

One thing you could try, if you’re sure this is an Avast file, and keep a backup:

First add Terminal to:

System Preferences > Security and Privacy > Privacy.

Scroll down and select Full Disk Access, unlock the preference pane, click the “+” and add Terminal to it, (Or just drag Terminal into that window) and put a check next to it), this is more for the newer OS though.

Open Terminal in /Applications/Utilities.

Type in:

sudo rm -rf

Put a space after the “-rf” then drag the file into the Terminal window and press Return on the keyboard.

Does it give an error message that involves permissions?

Likewise, while in the Privacy Preferences, if you see Avast anywhere, right click it > Show in Finder, and delete that file as well.

I’d still recommend using the uninstaller as it can be a pain trying to manually remove it, and tinkering with those files can cause problems if you delete the wrong one.

You sound like you know your stuff though, let me know how it goes!

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 2, 2021 12:58 AM in response to Figgy

Hey again!

Were you able to use the uninstaller Avast came with? If not, I’d try running that, although you may need to reinstall it to get it, unless they provide it on their web site.

Does it give an error message when moving to the trash?

If you right click the file and select Get Info, what shows there? In particular the “Sharing and Permissions” section.

Did you quit all Avast processes first?:

Open /Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor.

Search “Avast” double click any related processes and select “Force Quit” then try deleting the file again.

I’m sure if it’s icon shows as you explained it’s fine though, but if concerned:

One thing you could try, if you’re sure this is an Avast file, and keep a backup:

First add Terminal to:

System Preferences > Security and Privacy > Privacy.

Scroll down and select Full Disk Access, unlock the preference pane, click the “+” and add Terminal to it, (Or just drag Terminal into that window) and put a check next to it), this is more for the newer OS though.

Open Terminal in /Applications/Utilities.

Type in:

sudo rm -rf

Put a space after the “-rf” then drag the file into the Terminal window and press Return on the keyboard.

Does it give an error message that involves permissions?

Likewise, while in the Privacy Preferences, if you see Avast anywhere, right click it > Show in Finder, and delete that file as well.

I’d still recommend using the uninstaller as it can be a pain trying to manually remove it, and tinkering with those files can cause problems if you delete the wrong one.

You sound like you know your stuff though, let me know how it goes!

Jun 2, 2021 12:15 AM in response to DiZoE

Hi DiZoE,

Because, a ghost-like file (a grey-coloured text-like file inside of which is a white-coloured circle with a diagonal line going from side-to-side within the circle) is the last remaining file from the deletion of an application, and all its associated files, called "Avast Security for Mac". After using AppCleaner to delete the application, I did a global search of my Mac to see if everything associated with "Avast Security for Mac" had been deleted. That's how I found the ghost-like file in "Macintosh HD > Library > StagedExtensions"

It is impossible to get rid of this file without going through, what appears to be, an involved "technical" process.

The trash bin refuses to accept it, flicking it back to its folder.

This, hopefully inactive, file is a remnant file from the deletion of the "Avast" application.

I have seen some commentary suggesting that this file, being a "StagedExtension", and sitting in the folder that it is, is harmless and can be left in place.

? ? ? ? ? ?

StagedExtensions folder in "Macintosh HD > Library > StagedExtensions"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.