You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MICA folder

While cleaning up my Mac I found the following folder:

Macintosh HD->Library->Application Support->MICA

The folder contains a Plugins folder which contains Materials.bundle

Anyone know what this is? Can I ditch it or is it a part of the OS?

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 30, 2020 11:04 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 11, 2020 9:13 AM

why do some posters feel the need to be so hostile when answering?

the question was

a good answer was

MICA is part of Apples CoreAnimation

Some of us who have been migrating our Mac's since the 90's invariably have a bunch of crud in the system folders that No Longer have any buisness being there and the OS has not removed over time, hence why we are having a look and wanting to remove stuff. just today i've removed a bunch of extensions from 2005.

these from 2013 & 2015 don't look like they need be their either

the BJUSB is canon bubblejet technology. No idea what CalDigitHDProDrv.kext is or if its still needed as its 7 years old.

This is one reason Apple has moved to a read only Volume in the macOS as we move forward in Catalina.
Your days of " cleaning up Macs" in the system library are limited; or simply do not upgrade beyond your Mojave.

Thats great so long as all the old unnecessary crud from the last decade plus is also excluded too.

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 11, 2020 9:13 AM in response to leroydouglas

why do some posters feel the need to be so hostile when answering?

the question was

a good answer was

Some of us who have been migrating our Mac's since the 90's invariably have a bunch of crud in the system folders that No Longer have any buisness being there and the OS has not removed over time, hence why we are having a look and wanting to remove stuff. just today i've removed a bunch of extensions from 2005.

these from 2013 & 2015 don't look like they need be their either

the BJUSB is canon bubblejet technology. No idea what CalDigitHDProDrv.kext is or if its still needed as its 7 years old.

This is one reason Apple has moved to a read only Volume in the macOS as we move forward in Catalina.
Your days of " cleaning up Macs" in the system library are limited; or simply do not upgrade beyond your Mojave.

Thats great so long as all the old unnecessary crud from the last decade plus is also excluded too.

May 11, 2020 8:28 AM in response to jbstengel

jbstengel wrote:

While cleaning up my Mac I found the following folder:
Macintosh HD->Library->Application Support->MICA
The folder contains a Plugins folder which contains Materials.bundle

Typically you have no business in the System Library — it is a good way to bork your macOS.

There are 3 Libraries the one you have free rein over is the user Library. the path is ~/Library

From your Finder >Go> Go to Folder>Library (if you do not see it hold the option key)

You can make visible your ~/Library highlight it in the Finder Command i willopen the info pane—

here you can make changes. Drag it to your Finder Sidebar

See and organize your files in the Finder on Mac - Apple ...

Get to know the Finder on your Mac - Apple Support

macOS User Guide - Apple Support

Organize files in folders on Mac - Apple Support

May 11, 2020 8:50 AM in response to jbstengel

jbstengel wrote:

Thank you for the warning. I'm very comfortable in the system library, been cleaning up Macs since the early 90's. This is the first time I noticed this folder. Noticed that it was signed, but that can easily, sort of, faked so I figured I'd check. Thank you for explaining the purpose of this folder.

About the read-only system volume in macOS Catalina - Apple .

May 9, 2020 7:18 AM in response to jbstengel

It's code-signed by Apple, so probably best left where is 😲

$ codesign -dv --verbose=4 /Library/Application\ Support/Mica/PlugIns/Materials.bundle
Executable=/Library/Application Support/Mica/PlugIns/Materials.bundle/Contents/MacOS/Materials
Identifier=com.apple.Materials
Authority=Software Signing
Authority=Apple Code Signing Certification Authority
Authority=Apple Root CA

MICA folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.