Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Double click fullscreen not working on safari

So im using safari as one of my browsers, and there is simple functionality which after double click on top browser panel it will become windowed fullscreen.

But it's not working anymore, it will just center the safari in middle of my screen, with big gaps on left and right.

Other browsers work fine, they will go into windowed fullscreen, but safari will not.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jun 1, 2021 11:20 PM

6 replies

Jun 2, 2021 5:36 PM in response to P.Potoczky

Hello P.Potoczky.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. It sounds like you'd like to enter full screen when using Safari. If so, we'd like to share some information with you. Please review the resource below:

Use apps in full screen on Mac - Apple Support

Towards the bottom it states the following: "You can also double-click the app’s title bar (along the top of the app window) to maximize the window."

It appears that double-clicking the title bar will get you to the maximize view and not full-screen view. There are multiple ways to get into full-screen view. You can click the green button on the top left. You can also go to the menu bar and select View > Enter Full screen. Also, you can use your keyboard and hold down Control + Command + F to enter full-screen mode.

We hope this information is useful. Cheers.

Jun 7, 2021 8:25 PM in response to lrui

lrui wrote:

This question is not about 'how to enter' fullscreen. this question is about the latest update causing the full screen mode to not work. This is what the window looks like when I enter fullscreen.
https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/1f56fdb5-78fc-4c09-812a-c260ed1ca439

Double clicking the title bar has never entered full screen. Depending on the setting in the dock system preferences, double clicking on the tile bar will either zoom or minimize.

Jun 8, 2021 4:47 AM in response to lrui

lrui wrote:

Again you are telling me how to enter full screen. I know how to enter full screen. The problem is it is not working since the update. The window size stays the same.

I didn't say anything about full screen. I told you what the two possibilities you get from double-clicking the Title Bar.

It has never entered full screen. It was never working like that before the update and it won't work that way after the update.

Double-clicking on the Title Bar will either Zoom the window or Minimize the window. Nothing else was ever possible through the Double-click of the Title Bar.

The OP asked,

So im using safari as one of my browsers, and there is simple functionality which after double click on top browser panel it will become windowed fullscreen.
But it's not working anymore, it will just center the safari in middle of my screen, with big gaps on left and right.
Other browsers work fine, they will go into windowed fullscreen, but safari will not.

I don't know what was happening before, but it wasn't to enter Full Screen as implied. That is the point of this post.

Perhaps Zoom is confusing you as it does most people. Zoom, as originally designed, toggles between a user set size and the smallest window that can contain all of the content. Now, with content being larger than the display, Zoom would essentially "maximize" the window to fill the screen (not Full Screen). Browser content is usually long, but not wide. So on a larger display, Zoom would expand the window top to bottom, but it would only be as wide as the content of the page. Selecting Zoom again would set the size to whatever size the user had set for the window.

it will just center the safari in middle of my screen, with big gaps on left and right.

That is the result of Zoom. So, Zoom is working, but the OP thinks it should be "Full Screen." It isn't and never was.

If you have a problem where it won't enter Full Screen anymore, start your own post.

Double click fullscreen not working on safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.