Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Permissions issue on file sharing when a user creates a new folder

I work at graphic design company and have set up file sharing on an OWC RAID via a 2018 Mac mini running MacOs Big Sur 11.4. I am experiencing an issue where if a user creates a new folder, all other users are not able to make changes to the folder (example copy files into the folder or create new folders within that folder)

All users have access to the root folders and I turned on "Apply permissions to enclosed items"

Hoping someone can help

Posted on Jun 2, 2021 3:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2021 4:13 AM

It looks like the first double quote was changed to a “curly” quote. They all must be straight quotes.

It is stuck waiting for the ending quote.

ctrl-c should cancel the current command, or just close the terminal window, click Terminate, then open a new window.

Similar questions

6 replies

Jun 2, 2021 4:49 AM in response to jranderee

That’s because File Sharing is not a File Server.

You will need to set up an ACL on the share that allows all members of the group to read/write what others create.

Create a Group in Users & Groups and add all users to that group. The users do not need an account on the Host Mac, but you will need to make them a Sharing Only account.

Then add this ACL to the top level folder of the Share, recursively applying it to the contents:

chmod -R +a "group:<groupName> allow list,add_file,search,add_subdirectory,delete_child,readattr,writeattr,readextattr,writeextattr,readsecurity,file_inherit,directory_inherit" "Path/to/directory/"

You'll need to edit this in a text editor to change <groupName> to the name of the group you created, and "Path/to/directory/" to the full path to the share folder.

Paste the altered text into Terminal and hit return. 

Permissions issue on file sharing when a user creates a new folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.