Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't get large files in and out of iCloud and the Files app

"Upload Error" that's all I see lately. Internet connection is solid, files used to upload just fine, all of a sudden all multi GB files just say "Waiting..." for about a minute and then "Upload Error". In this case 4.46GB file, have 10GB free on the iPad, 8GB free in iCloud.

My next thought is export the file from Files into Amazon Drive or Dropbox. The progress bar is so slow it looks like it'll take an entire day despite my 50Mbps internet connection. But any export like this isn't a background task, it's a foreground can't turn off the screen or switch apps kinda thing or it'll stop.

Next through, get the files out of the file share section of iTunes to my laptop and send them where I need to from there. What? The FILES app doesn't share FILES in the FILES section of iTunes? Who decided that crucial feature of a file sharing app wasn't needed?

iPad Pro, iPadOS 14

Posted on Jun 2, 2021 6:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2021 1:14 PM

Smaller files upload just fine.

I got the large file to finally upload, however. Here is the key... you need a LOT more space free than what the file requires for it to upload. Either the iCloud Storage meter is not accurate, or there is a ton of overhead that is invisible to the user.

I had 5GB free in iCloud and my 4.47GB file always said Upload Error. I freed up some space to get 6GB, then 7GB, still no luck. It wasn't until I had freed up a good 10GB+ iCloud that my 4.47GB file uploaded without erroring out.

So, taken care of for now, but it still begs the question... why can't I use all 50GB of the space I'm paying for? I suppose I could utilize a lot more of the space if I were to fill it up with much smaller files, but I should still be able to upload a 4.47GB file into 5GB worth of remaining space.

The next issue, why was I not able to get these files out of the Files app via iTunes file sharing? Why does the Files app, a file sharing app, not have the File Sharing feature of iOS apps enabled? I understand not being able to see files that are only in the cloud being viewed through the Files app... but all of the files that reside in the "On my iPad" folder in Files should be shareable via iTunes should they not? Seems like a huge fail missing that on the feature list of this app.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 3, 2021 1:14 PM in response to mario49

Smaller files upload just fine.

I got the large file to finally upload, however. Here is the key... you need a LOT more space free than what the file requires for it to upload. Either the iCloud Storage meter is not accurate, or there is a ton of overhead that is invisible to the user.

I had 5GB free in iCloud and my 4.47GB file always said Upload Error. I freed up some space to get 6GB, then 7GB, still no luck. It wasn't until I had freed up a good 10GB+ iCloud that my 4.47GB file uploaded without erroring out.

So, taken care of for now, but it still begs the question... why can't I use all 50GB of the space I'm paying for? I suppose I could utilize a lot more of the space if I were to fill it up with much smaller files, but I should still be able to upload a 4.47GB file into 5GB worth of remaining space.

The next issue, why was I not able to get these files out of the Files app via iTunes file sharing? Why does the Files app, a file sharing app, not have the File Sharing feature of iOS apps enabled? I understand not being able to see files that are only in the cloud being viewed through the Files app... but all of the files that reside in the "On my iPad" folder in Files should be shareable via iTunes should they not? Seems like a huge fail missing that on the feature list of this app.

Jun 3, 2021 8:43 AM in response to cosborn

Hi cosborn,

Thank you for posting in Apple Support Communities.

Let’s see if we can help getting your files uploading again. Have you tested a smaller file? We know you have a good internet connection, but have you tried a different network?

Have you seen “If your files don’t update to iCloud Drive” found in Access iCloud Drive files from your iPhone and other devices? And have you tried the suggestions found in that section?

Let us know the answer to these questions if you are still unable to upload the files.

Take care!

Can't get large files in and out of iCloud and the Files app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.