Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to update to catalina

I have a macbookpro 13inch early 2015" with 256Gb memory

I want to know how to update to Catalina or Mojave (from Yosemite), which are the requirements and if it's convenient to do so.

Some people have suggest me to reset to factory before i update.

Please i need an expert word of advise and guidense.

thank you

MacBook Pro 13″, OS X 10.10

Posted on Jun 2, 2021 2:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 2, 2021 2:53 PM

Unless whatever you are running won't work on the current macOS Big Sur, its generally recommended to go to the newest version your Mac can run.

If you really need to update to Catalina, you can download the installer from the following support document: link-> How to get old versions of macOS - Apple Support

Once downloaded you can simply double click the installer and follow the onscreen prompts.

You don't need to factory restore and unless you have some major issue with your current OS, its hardly recommended to go to all that trouble just to upgrade. It is recommended to have a current backup of your computer just in case something goes wrong. It should not be necessary, but better to be safe than sorry.

If you prefer to go straight too Big Sur then follow the steps here: link-> How to upgrade to macOS Big Sur - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 2, 2021 2:53 PM in response to susannafrommiramar

Unless whatever you are running won't work on the current macOS Big Sur, its generally recommended to go to the newest version your Mac can run.

If you really need to update to Catalina, you can download the installer from the following support document: link-> How to get old versions of macOS - Apple Support

Once downloaded you can simply double click the installer and follow the onscreen prompts.

You don't need to factory restore and unless you have some major issue with your current OS, its hardly recommended to go to all that trouble just to upgrade. It is recommended to have a current backup of your computer just in case something goes wrong. It should not be necessary, but better to be safe than sorry.

If you prefer to go straight too Big Sur then follow the steps here: link-> How to upgrade to macOS Big Sur - Apple Support

Jun 2, 2021 2:49 PM in response to susannafrommiramar

Tap or click > How to get old versions of macOS - Apple Support

Have a complete backup prior to the upgrade.

If you upgrade to Catalina, all of your apps must be 64-bit, or must be upgraded to 64-bit. You can use the Go64 tool to find older 32-bit apps you might depend on. You will need to upgrade from Office 2011 or earlier to Office 2016, Office 2019, the upcoming Office 2021, or the Office 365 subscription, or switch to LibreOffice (free) or maybe to the (free) Apple iWork apps that can read and write many Office documents.

how to update to catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.