Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Canon TS9520 printer is no longer working after Big Sur update 11.4

Is there away to get a driver to run my printer? It stopped working since the update. Cannon says it doesn't need a driver but Big Sur does not let me add it.

Posted on Jun 2, 2021 4:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 2, 2021 4:41 PM

According to this Apple document, About AirPrint - Apple Support, your printer model is AirPrint compatible.

Go to the System/Printers & Scanners preference pane, Control (right) - click on your printer and select" Reset printing system…" from the contextual menu.

Then add the printer back with the AirPrint (wireless) option.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 2, 2021 4:41 PM in response to Unfused135

According to this Apple document, About AirPrint - Apple Support, your printer model is AirPrint compatible.

Go to the System/Printers & Scanners preference pane, Control (right) - click on your printer and select" Reset printing system…" from the contextual menu.

Then add the printer back with the AirPrint (wireless) option.

Jun 6, 2021 11:56 AM in response to kath295

Hello,

As mentioned by Old Toad, AirPrint does in fact work with Mac computers (Mac OS X 10.7 Lion and later). However, the Canon PIXMA MP490 is not in the list in About AirPrint - Apple Support. A printer that is not AirPrint-enabled would require drivers from the printer manufacturer. Unfortunately, macOS 10.12 Sierra appears to be the latest supported system version ( https://www.canon-europe.com/support/consumer_products/products/fax__multifunctionals/inkjet/pixma_mp_series/pixma_mp490.html?type=drivers&language=en&os=macos%2010.12%20(sierra) ). This does not necessarily mean that the drivers in question cannot be used with newer systems, but that would be experimental.

You may want to try resetting the printing system and make another attempt to add the printer.

Check whether the operating system then would suggest something suitable.

Reset the Mac printing system to solve a problem - Apple Support

Add a printer on Mac - Apple Support

Jun 6, 2021 11:29 AM in response to kath295

kath295 wrote:

AirPrint compatible only relates to iPad, iPhone, not to iMac.

That's not correct. I'm using AirPrint with my iMac to print and scan to my Canon MG7720 all-in-one printer.

The following is from the AirPrint document:

About AirPrint
AirPrint is an Apple technology that helps you create full-quality printed output without the need to download or install drivers.

With AirPrint, it's easy to print full-quality photos and documents from your Mac, iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch without having to install additional software (drivers).

My Canon TS9520 printer is no longer working after Big Sur update 11.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.