Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I retrieve my text messages

I lost my phone. Received my new phone. How do I retrieve my text messages

iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 14

Posted on Jun 2, 2021 6:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 2, 2021 6:40 PM

If you were syncing Messages with iCloud, sign into Settings/Your Name using the same Apple ID, and in iCloud, turn Messages syncing on. If you weren't syncing Messages to iCloud, do you have a backup of the lost phone that you can restore? Restoring from a backup erases all data currently on your device. Any data newer than when the backup was made will be erased. A restore is an all or nothing restore. You can't access a backup to see the contents and only restore certain files.

Backup - Restore your device from an iCloud or iTunes backup.    

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 2, 2021 6:40 PM in response to marrie123

If you were syncing Messages with iCloud, sign into Settings/Your Name using the same Apple ID, and in iCloud, turn Messages syncing on. If you weren't syncing Messages to iCloud, do you have a backup of the lost phone that you can restore? Restoring from a backup erases all data currently on your device. Any data newer than when the backup was made will be erased. A restore is an all or nothing restore. You can't access a backup to see the contents and only restore certain files.

Backup - Restore your device from an iCloud or iTunes backup.    

How do I retrieve my text messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.