Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to update garageband in catalina

How do I update Garageband in Catalina, previous posts say to go through the App store to the purchased section and update from there, unfortunately Garageband does not show up in my purchased apps? Not sure where I go to from here?

Posted on Jun 2, 2021 6:27 PM

6 replies

Jun 20, 2021 12:38 PM in response to lars-inge66

You certainly have a total right to be displeased. Send Apple feedback https://www.apple.com/feedback/ .

However, you should be reminded that Garage Band is free. Kind of disingenuous to complain too strenuously about a product with that much functionality that is provided by Apple free of charge. But go ahead and complain -- you should complain directly to Apple, however, these forums are mostly users helping other users resolve technical issues, this is not a technical issue.

FYI, I just went to my 2013 Macbook Air on Catalina and noticed that it does not have Garage Band in the Applications folder. I went to the App Store and it indicated that the latest version requires Big Sur, do I want the latest version compatible with Catalina. I said yes and it downloaded and installed Garage Band 10.3.5. This Macbook Air can go to Big Sur in fact but I decided not to do that at this time. Garage Band 10.3.5 has a lot of capability for a free program.

There is an expression, "don't look a gift horse in the mouth." I think you are looking at this gift horse in the mouth, maybe.

Jun 19, 2021 11:26 AM in response to lars-inge66

lars-inge66 wrote:

Doesn't work. If you have GB 10.3.4 on Catalina it seems like you cannot upgrade. What is Apple going to do about this fiasco?

It's not a fiasco. The latest version of Garage Band requires Big Sur. The previous version(s) work in Catalina, and can continue to be used. This is not the first nor the last time this sort of thing has happened. Garage Band works fine in Catalina, but to run the very latest version one needs to have Big Sur.

Jun 20, 2021 11:21 PM in response to steve626

Thank you for your input.

If you give away a program for free and then force people to buy a newer computer to be able to upgrade it, is

it really free then?

FYI, I have GB 10.3.4 on a Mac Mini (late 2012, which I bought recently just to be able to upgrade GB [had a mid 2011 MM before]) and have found no possibility to upgrade even to 10.3.5, so if you know anything that could help me upgrade, feel free to do so instead of downgrading me as a person. Thank you for understanding.

Cheers

how to update garageband in catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.