Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch not pairing with iPhone

Ive had the same Apple Watch series 3 since about 2018 I’ve had an iPhone XR for about a year and they’ve been paired for awhile. Couple weeks ago I tried to update my watch but it wasn’t updating (always stuck on the beginning), and because of this I erased all content and setting on my watch and tried to pair again hoping it would be able to update this time. Ever since this whole situation I have tried to pair the watch to my iPhone about 20 times, I erased all content and settings again on my watch and I still get the message “Failed to pair”. This has been frustrating and I can’t seem to find any other information about this online. If anyone has an answer on what I can do it would be much appreciated.

Apple Watch Series 3, watchOS 7

Posted on Jun 2, 2021 8:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2021 1:45 AM

The apple watch 3 GPS only has only 8GB of internal storage, most of that is taken up by the operating system and other critical software. So installing a major update is not going to be easy;

1.Unpair and erase your watch to factory settings.

2.Set up and pair the watch again,but setup as new not from a backup.

3.Update the watch, which now has enough free memory to update

4.Unpair and erase the watch a second time

5.Re-pair the watch with your phone, but choose the backup you made in step 1,another backup is made in step 4 but don't choose that one.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 3, 2021 1:45 AM in response to Guy_Z

The apple watch 3 GPS only has only 8GB of internal storage, most of that is taken up by the operating system and other critical software. So installing a major update is not going to be easy;

1.Unpair and erase your watch to factory settings.

2.Set up and pair the watch again,but setup as new not from a backup.

3.Update the watch, which now has enough free memory to update

4.Unpair and erase the watch a second time

5.Re-pair the watch with your phone, but choose the backup you made in step 1,another backup is made in step 4 but don't choose that one.

Apple Watch not pairing with iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.