Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Icons don't match Applications in Force Quit

A friend's iMac under Big Sur becomes slower and slower. Programs become slow and react only after several seconds. He has tried to call up Force Quit, using the keyboard shortcut Cmd-Alt-esc and was presented with this Force Quit window:

(He uses a Dutch version of mac OS, hence the language.)

Note how the icons shown for Numbers, Safari, and Finder do not correspond to those applications.

Presumably, this is in some way linked to the iMac becoming slower.

Any ideas as to what might be wrong?

Posted on Jun 3, 2021 4:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2021 5:03 AM

I've never seen this before, but I would try the following: reboot in Safe Mode (hold down the shift key while rebooting - this could take up to 10 minutes).

In Safe mode, look at the dock and close the open applications (the ones with a black dot under the icon) by right-clicking on the application (in the dock) and choosing 'Stop'.

If this worked, reboot in normal mode and see if the problem has been solved

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 3, 2021 5:03 AM in response to davidneale1

I've never seen this before, but I would try the following: reboot in Safe Mode (hold down the shift key while rebooting - this could take up to 10 minutes).

In Safe mode, look at the dock and close the open applications (the ones with a black dot under the icon) by right-clicking on the application (in the dock) and choosing 'Stop'.

If this worked, reboot in normal mode and see if the problem has been solved

Icons don't match Applications in Force Quit

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.