Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Magic Mouse does not work on login screen on iMac 2017

The Apple Magic Mouse has never worked on the login screen on iMac 2017 in OS Catalina. For example if there is more than one user (which luckily there isn't most of the time) you cannot choose which user, or you cannot choose to shut down. Also Magic keyboard has delay when starting to type password. Seems like the mouse does not connect to Bluetooth before logged in to an account and the keyboard doesn't connect right away.

Posted on Jun 3, 2021 8:17 AM

Similar questions

27 replies

Jun 3, 2021 9:45 AM in response to rkaufmann87

I followed the advice you gave on the other thread about the keyboard typing adjacent letters at same time.:

The following will require any USB keyboard and mouse. If you don’t have them, borrow or buy them, they are

inexpensive!

• Connect the USB keyboard and mouse to the computer.
  • Open System Preferences – Bluetooth
  • Un-pair the wireless keyboard and mouse.
  • Turn off Bluetooth
  • Restart the computer in Safe Mode per the directions in https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262
  • Restart the computer normally.
  • Open System Preferences – Bluetooth
  • Turn on Bluetooth
  • Re-Pair the wireless keyboard and mouse.
  • Unplug the USB keyboard and mouse and begin testing the wireless devices again.

It is the 27 inch Retina 2017 iMac with the original mouse.

Mac OS 10.15.7 Catalina

Jun 3, 2021 9:44 AM in response to andimac

What trouble shooting have you already attempted? Also, is the MM in question the mouse that originally shipped with the 2017 iMac. Finally, please advise what size (21.5 or 27") iMac it is and what version of Mac OS is currently installed.

When posting questions it is important to be as specific as possible, remember we have no idea what you have tried, any specifics about your machine and it's peripherals or anything other than what you tell us. Perhaps if you looked over the information in https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-5931 that will give you an insight into what we need from you in order to help.

Jun 3, 2021 10:19 AM in response to andimac

Please navigate to www.Etrecheck.com and download the free version of EtreCheck. Once you have you downloaded the app and installed it, please run the report and save it. This report will help us get a good idea what has been installed on your system and help us be able to diagnose what may be wrong.

When you have your report, you can attach it when you reply to this message and we can then review it and help you determine what is needed to get your system running well again.

For instructions on how to download your EtreCheck report and attach it to your reply to this message please click https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-250000211

Jun 12, 2021 9:12 PM in response to andimac

The following will require any USB keyboard and mouse. If you don’t have them, borrow or buy them, they are inexpensive!

1.     Connect the USB keyboard and mouse to the computer.

2.     Open System Preferences – Bluetooth

3.     Un-pair the wireless keyboard and mouse.

4.     Turn off Bluetooth

5.     Restart the computer in Safe Mode per the directions in https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

6.     Restart the computer normally.

7.     Open System Preferences – Bluetooth

8.     Turn on Bluetooth

9.     Re-Pair the wireless keyboard and mouse.

10.  Unplug the USB keyboard and mouse and begin testing the wireless devices again. 

Jun 12, 2021 10:00 PM in response to andimac

andimac Said:

"Apple Magic Mouse does not work on login screen on iMac 2017: [...]Seems like the mouse does not connect to Bluetooth before logged in to an account and the keyboard doesn't connect right away."

-------

Reset the Bluetooth Module:

Perform as Instructed here: Use "Reset the Bluetooth module" to Fix Constant Bluetooth Disconnections - User Tip

Jun 3, 2021 12:30 PM in response to andimac

There are some issues I see in the report that bother me and that you did not mention. I am going to focus on one items, the Kernel Panics the computer has been having. KP's can be caused by hardware or software and your report says:

Kernel panics - This system has experienced kernel panics. This could be a sign of hardware failure.

A frequent cause of KP's that are hardware related are RAM related and hard drives that are failing . However your iMac has an Apple SSD installed but it also appears you upgraded the RAM yourself so lets focus on that. RAM issues can be any of the following:

• Incorrect RAM
  • Failed RAM
  • Unseated RAM

So the first thing to do is to uninstall all the upgraded RAM and then test with the original RAM for a day or two with the computer shipped with. If it works okay and you don't have any KP's then you know what to troubleshoot for. However if the KP's are still there please let us know the following:

• Brand of RAM
  • Exactly where did you buy it
  • RAM Specifications

Jun 3, 2021 10:10 AM in response to andimac

Have you posted an EtreCheck report of your system, it is possible that you may have something installed that is causing the problem? Another thought is you may need to install Mac OS which would fill in any missing or damaged components of Mac OS.

Finally, I would suggest calling AppleCare again and speaking to another agent, if they cannot fix it you can request that the case be escalated.

Jun 3, 2021 1:06 PM in response to rkaufmann87

I bought the RAM from OWC on 4/26/18. That is what I have been worried about:

32.0GB (2x 16GB) PC4-19200 DDR4 2400MHz SO-DIMM 260 Pin CL17 Memory Upgrade Kit for Mid 2017 iMac 27" w/ Retina 5K models and PCs which utilize PC4-19200 SO-DIMM. OWC Lifetime Advance Replacement Limited Warranty.

Are you saying I need to physically remove it?

Jun 3, 2021 3:17 PM in response to andimac

The report looks about the same and thank you for removing the RAM. I think what I'd like to try next is reinstall Mac OS. This type of re-install will not affect your data, apps or settings. It is designed to fill in missing or damaged parts of Mac OS. However before proceeding you should ensure your back up of your system is working okay. I think you are using Carbon Copy Cloner so to test, please restart from the clone to ensure it works just fine.

Once you have tested the backup then restart the computer in the Recovery Partition. You can do this by holding down Command + R on startup. You will see the option to install Mac OS, please do that on your normal startup drive and when it is finished then boot normally and test.

Apple Magic Mouse does not work on login screen on iMac 2017

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.