Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Remote viewing an iPhone screen

I have volunteered to help retired seniors learn/deal with their new Apple devices: iPhones, iPads, and Mac computers

I use an iMac: Oct 2015, 27” 5K display, External OWC SSD, OS 11.4 and an iPhone Xs Max running iOS 14.6.

In Zoom sessions, sharing the screens of seniors, I have been able to have some of them attach their iPhones to their Macs, launch QuickTime, mouse over to the tiny arrow in the right side of the ensuing window, mouse down and select their iPhone, click on it, and be able to view their iPhone on my Mac and guide them through what needs to be done on their iPhones or iPads.

I recently could not do this with a lady with a Mac Mini and a new iPhone. The iPhone is running iOS 14.X and the Mini is running Catalina.

When we could not get this to work, I opened a new Finder window on her Mini, and the iPhone did not appear in the sidebar, which is weird.

Restarts of both devices did not fix the problem.

Another lady with whom I had the same problem went to the Apple store and reported " I went to the Apple Store and  they put my iPhone back on my Mac" but I know she will never be able to explain what they did to fix the problem.

Can anyone suggest fixes to try when this happens?

iPhone XS Max, iOS 14

Posted on Jun 3, 2021 9:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2021 9:42 AM

An alternative to using QuickTime is AirPlaying from the iPhone/iPad to the Zoom screen sharing session. I have found this to be a lot less cumbersome. Hopefully it meets your needs.

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/204726885-Sharing-screen-using-Apple-screen-mirroring-AirPlay-

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201379235-Sharing-your-screen-iOS-with-the-Zoom-desktop-client

For example, when I click the screen share button in my Zoom meetings, I see the following options in addition to the computer screen:

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 3, 2021 9:42 AM in response to Room101A

An alternative to using QuickTime is AirPlaying from the iPhone/iPad to the Zoom screen sharing session. I have found this to be a lot less cumbersome. Hopefully it meets your needs.

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/204726885-Sharing-screen-using-Apple-screen-mirroring-AirPlay-

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201379235-Sharing-your-screen-iOS-with-the-Zoom-desktop-client

For example, when I click the screen share button in my Zoom meetings, I see the following options in addition to the computer screen:

Jun 3, 2021 9:44 AM in response to Room101A

Room101A Said:

"Remote viewing an iPhone screen: [...]Another lady with whom I had the same problem went to the Apple store and reported " I went to the Apple Store and  they put my iPhone back on my Mac" but I know she will never be able to explain what they did to fix the problem. Can anyone suggest fixes to try when this happens?"

-------

Using Zoom:

I'm not aware of any method other than disabling SIP and going in to the macOS to reconfigure all of this. But what about using Zoom, and then hovering your iPhone over the camera? Would that be an option for you?

Jun 3, 2021 12:57 PM in response to mad at macbook

Perfect. Just perfect!!

Once they click on Share Screen on their end of the Zoom session, all they have to do, with the iPhone connected to a USB port on their computer is, in the ensuing window, select iPhone/iPad via AirPlay, then click Share and then, on their iPhone, go to the Control Center, tap on Screen Monitoring, tap on the name of their computer and, bingo, everyone in the Zoom session is viewing their iPhone and they can be led through the steps necessary to accomplish what you want them to do.

Thank you ever so much!!

Remote viewing an iPhone screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.