Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Magic keyboard not working with Zoom screen sharing

Hi, I got a new iPad Air recently, with Pencil 2 and Magic Keyboard. One of the reasons I've been using my iPad a lot is for Zoom screen sharing markup - I'm a teacher and work with a lot of my students remotely. They screen-share their work, and then I make notes showing them how to complete their problems.

The Pencil works just fine for markup. I can draw on the student's shared screen without any issues. But the Magic Keyboard doesn't work when I try to do text markup. I know that the keyboard works in general because when I switch to another app like Safari or Google Docs, I can use it to type. But when I use the "Text" feature on Zoom markup, the keyboard doesn't respond at all. I can initiate a text box, but then the keyboard doesn't produce any input. If I bring up an on-screen keyboard, that does generate input.

Markup does work for me on Zoom in general. It's just this single function that doesn't work. I'm confused, because when I had my old iPad Pro with a Logitech keyboard, it worked just fine in this exact same environment. Is there a setting I need to adjust?

iPad Air, iPadOS 14

Posted on Jun 3, 2021 5:16 PM

Similar questions

1 reply

Jun 4, 2021 1:13 PM in response to numberstrong

Hey there numberstrong.

We can see that you're having an issue while using Zoom with your iPad and the Magic Keyboard.

You've completed some great troubleshooting to narrow down what might be happening. The next step would be to check the Zoom website to see if there is a specific setting that they suggest. Also, as a best-practice, it's always great to make sure that both the iPadOS and Zoom app are up-to-date too.

We hope this helps!

Magic keyboard not working with Zoom screen sharing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.