Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will Apple add support for Apple Pencil 2 Hover on M1 Pro iPads?

I just purchased my M1 iPad Pro and I am discouraged and disappointed that I cannot experience what seams to be a software locked feature after spending over one and a half thousand dollars on the device and Apple accessories. Does Apple plan on unlocking this feature anytime soon or provide a hardware limitation explanation other than “M2’? I’m staying hopeful.

Thanks,

-Nathan

Posted on Oct 24, 2022 11:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 13, 2023 8:32 AM

M1 iPad air has hover to show text feature. The current pencil and display should have the hardware to enable full hover support. It’s most likely a software restriction put in place to boost this year’s iPad sales using this distinction.

16 replies

Oct 25, 2022 4:14 AM in response to MichelPM

Regardless of your past “rodeo” participation, your statement is entirely speculative upon the basis of information currently available.

While nobody has suggested that this might not be hardware feature of the the iPad Pro, there is as yet no documented or technical information that confirms this to be the case.

To add needed balance to otherwise pointless debate, there are many features of iPadOS that are limited by software implementation alone - that have absolutely no hardware elements at all.

Dec 5, 2022 1:05 PM in response to NathanQ

I have to disagree. The iPad Air M1 hardware does indeed support apple hover. I tested it! Believe it or not, if you connect your ipad as a monitor for your macbook (as a mirror or extended), and bring the pencil close to the screen, the ipad will pick it up as a cursor, I sincerely hope apple does not remove this feature, but it shows that the older ipads do indeed support hover and it is left using software limiting.

Dec 5, 2022 2:10 PM in response to Garlic5auce

Garlic5auce wrote:

I have to disagree. The iPad Air M1 hardware does indeed support apple hover. I tested it!

You are quite correct. As any actual user of iPadOS 16 with 2021 models of iPad Pro can attest - while the full range of hover functions are not available - some hover functionality is available by design. This is with production software.

Dec 11, 2022 2:01 PM in response to NathanQ

this is not a hardware feature. It is already available in apple m1 iPad pro.

Go to settings -> accessibility -> hover text (enable this)

when you hover over any text, you get text info.

That means it's just a change in the electric field just like how the S-pen from Samsung and doesn't need special hardware but this is yet another apple gimmick to sell their new products

Oct 24, 2022 5:36 PM in response to NathanQ

Contributors here are all end-users, just like you. We have absolutely no insight into Apple’s product development roadmap - or product and marketing beyond information publicly announced by Apple.

The new Apple Pencil “hover” feature has been announced - and its availability is currently limited to the 2022 models of iPad Pro with an M2 SoC/CPU. There is no published evidence or hardware specifications that suggest that this feature is related to hardware differences between the 2021 “M1” models and 2022 “M2” models of iPad Pro - or that this feature has been intentionally restricted by software. As such, any comments in this regard are currently purely speculative.

As to whether Apple can be persuaded to extend this feature to earlier models of iPad Pro - similar to changes made to Stage Manager during development - we have no idea.

Apple do invite submission of comments and feature requests via its Product Feedback portal. For iPad and iPadOS:

Feedback - iPad - Apple

Should you have strong feelings in regard to expanded support for “hover”, this would be the most appropriate channel through which to make the request.

Oct 24, 2022 11:30 AM in response to NathanQ

I believe this is a new internal screen hardware layer feature and NOT a software feature, in the new 2022 iPad Pro models.

So, older iPad Pro models lack this newly added screen hardware layer feature and will never experience this new Apple Pencil hover feature.

If you just purchased this new M1 iPad Pro, from Apple, you have a 14-day unconditional return window to get your money back and wait to purchase the brand new 2022 iPad Pro models when they become available,on the 26th of October.

Best of Luck to You!

Oct 24, 2022 6:26 PM in response to LotusPilot

This Apple Pencil hover feature is NOT part of iPadOS 16 and clearly looks like a new screen HARDWARE layer feature that is limited and exclusive to the new 2022 iPad Pro models!

This is all of the same issue/nonsense that every user had when the first generation Apple Pencil appeared on the scene over six years, ago.

When Apple introduced the 1st gen Apple Pencil alongside the 2015/2016 iPad Pros, everyone with an iPad thought the Apple Pencil was made to work with every single iPad model that came before it.

No casual user could grasp the fact that an extra hardware screen layer was added that made the working/function of the Pencil possible on only the iPad Pro models.

I’m tellin’ all of you, this is NOT any type of a software feature of iPadOS 16, but a genuine new piece of screen hardware put into these new iPad Pro models.

I have been through this rodeo, in the past and its more of the same!

This is a iPad Pro hardware improvement! NOT a software one.

I will wait for an iFixit teardown video, on YouTube, of the new 2022 iPad Pro models to be vindicated/validated on this new feature.

Nov 20, 2022 12:09 PM in response to BTYL424

As I have previously stated this is not just a software feature, but must be a hardware one ws well.

As a hardware/screen layer improvement, this feature will never come to older iPad models that support the Apple Pencil 2.

That new hardware is missing from older model iPads.

Sorry.

Until someone does a new M2 iPad Pro teardown video, to prove me wrong, I stand behind my previous contentions.

Will Apple add support for Apple Pencil 2 Hover on M1 Pro iPads?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.