Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac mini M1 screen flickering with BenQ GW2283 Dual Display and other issues

Has anyone encountered screen flickering on dark/grey areas of the display with BenQ GW2283 on Dual Display setup (one on HDMI, one on USB-C via a USB-C to HDMI adapter? (Random very fine vertical lines flickering in regular intervals: see video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSLD-rpDHRk) I also tried disconnecting each monitor or switching the ports/cables, etc. but the problem is still persistent. Each monitor is working perfectly fine on Windows 10 laptop and without any issue. I am running the latest Big Sur update (11.4).

Also, a persistent problem I encounter is that every time I switch on the mac mini M1, only 1 of the displays is detected. I need to unplug and replug the HDMI to USB-C adapter every time. I tried replacing the USB-C to HDMI adapter with another adapter but to no avail.

Posted on Jun 3, 2021 6:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2021 7:58 PM

Sorry, but I really couldn't see what you described in the video.

Plus you will not likely find many folks running dual GW2283 displays.

For the flickering, I would adjust and test some different System Preference settings for the Displays.

1. Accessibility > Display and make sure that Display Contrast is set to Normal.
  2. Accessibility > Display and only leave Reduce Transparency checked.
  3. General and test Light versus Dark mode.
  4. Displays and turn off Night Shift.

The second problem, is a macOS dual-display hand-shake issue that has been around since early Mojave. To deal with this problem, I have a Mission Control Hot Corner.... setup to "Put Displays to Sleep" Then when one display fails to light after a startup or wake, I use the Hot Corner to re-sleep both displays and then re-wake them. The Hot Corner works 99.9 out of 100 times without have to unplug and replug any cables.

Edit: I encourage you to send Apple Feedback on both of these issues.

https://www.apple.com/feedback/macmini.html

https://www.apple.com/feedback/macos.html

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 3, 2021 7:58 PM in response to admontecillo

Sorry, but I really couldn't see what you described in the video.

Plus you will not likely find many folks running dual GW2283 displays.

For the flickering, I would adjust and test some different System Preference settings for the Displays.

1. Accessibility > Display and make sure that Display Contrast is set to Normal.
  2. Accessibility > Display and only leave Reduce Transparency checked.
  3. General and test Light versus Dark mode.
  4. Displays and turn off Night Shift.

The second problem, is a macOS dual-display hand-shake issue that has been around since early Mojave. To deal with this problem, I have a Mission Control Hot Corner.... setup to "Put Displays to Sleep" Then when one display fails to light after a startup or wake, I use the Hot Corner to re-sleep both displays and then re-wake them. The Hot Corner works 99.9 out of 100 times without have to unplug and replug any cables.

Edit: I encourage you to send Apple Feedback on both of these issues.

https://www.apple.com/feedback/macmini.html

https://www.apple.com/feedback/macos.html

Jun 3, 2021 9:38 PM in response to den.thed

Thanks for your response!

After reaching out to Apple Support, I am now convinced that my problem is more than the handshake issue as even if I am just using a single display, my mac mini M1 would not recognize it right away (after sleep/switch off) plus the fine grey lines flickering. It must be a hardware issue related to the ports. I tried accessing my mac mini remotely via a virtual desktop application and the projected graphics/displays do not have the issue. Also tried using a different set of display (24-inch displays) and still got the same identification/flickering problem.

~1-month-old unit up for repair/replacement, it seems.

Jun 4, 2021 4:38 PM in response to admontecillo

Hi,

I run two BENQ PD2700u 4ks screens at 60Hz using the Mac mini M1HDMI port and a CalDigit T3+ dock's DisplayPort port. This has worked really well since I tuned the setup in January 2021 with no flicker at all.

Until .... BigSur update 11.4

I still have not figured out exactly what is happening as my Mac mini/BENQ setup starts up OK, but after a while I get flickering on the CalDigit DisplayPort connection. This only started after the OS upgrade.

Jeff

Jun 5, 2021 11:01 PM in response to jefforyfromcanberra

What a pain! It's 2021 and we're having these display issues with supposed-to-be and touted as a game-changer silicon. My 7-year-old windows laptop and my MBP late 2011 have not a problem with these displays. It really is a game-changer! hahaha.

Oh, and by the way, I tried using my VGA displays via USB-C to VGA adapter, and guess what, the problem is still there even in macOS recovery. I can see these dancing/flickering grey lines randomly distributed on the display, and it flickers on a seemingly regular interval/cycle/Hertz, like a heartbeat. I tried ALL sorts of adjustments including changing the frequency to 30/50/60, checking my power supply cycle, replacing and interchanging cables, re-installing macOS, etc. The only thing that is left is changing the mac mini M1 HAHAHA.

Jul 16, 2021 3:14 AM in response to admontecillo

Just an update on my own issues (flickering lines on dark areas of display, display recognition troubles, etc):

the MLB of my mac mini m1 16GB has been replaced, and the problem is still persistent! the certified tech saw it with his own two eyes. so I guess there is really a fundamental issue with the 16GB RAM/8-core GPU variant of M1. Time for Apple to own this one. I am now demanding for a refund and NOT for a replacement. I'll just buy something else.

Mac mini M1 screen flickering with BenQ GW2283 Dual Display and other issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.