Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleting Mail attachments

Hi, I’ve just checked my “Mail downloads” folder and found that I have over 20 GB of mail attachments. While I need to keep many of the emails, I don’t need to keep the attachments as I saved what I needed in relevant folders.

Please can someone advise me: Can I just delete everything in the “Mail downloads” folder, gain 20 GB, without any unforeseen problems? 

Thank you.

Posted on Jun 4, 2021 7:07 AM

Similar questions

9 replies

Jun 5, 2021 9:46 AM in response to BDAqua

Hi BDAqua, thanks for responding. I use Time Machine and also Carbon Copy Cloner. What kinds of problems do you anticipate? Maybe I should email myself a new attachment, then delete the attachment from the mail downloads folder, restart, and see if the email will still open even though the attachment has been deleted?

Jun 5, 2021 12:59 PM in response to McBrain

Have you tried to use the "Remove Attachments" functionality under the Message menu? You can select multiple emails, meaning you could select a whole folder of emails if you so choose, and if any of those emails contains an attachment the "Remove Attachments" won't be grayed out.

Jun 13, 2021 8:44 AM in response to McBrain

Hi, finally I’ve found some time to experiment. Deleting files from the “Mail Downloads” folder does not seem to work. The attachments are still showing attached to the emails, and after opening the emails, the attachments reappear again in the “Mail Downloads” folder. It seem like the only way to delete attachments is to go through folders one by one, click on the paperclip icon to group all those with attachments, and then go to Message > Remove Attachments for all those I want to delete. Generally this is working but it seems extremely longwinded and two problems seem to be emerging: (1) Some emails with attachments show “Remove attachments “ in grey scale (in other words, cannot click on “Remove attachments”); quite a few emails with attachments are not showing they have attachments via a paperclip icon. Surprised that Apple have not already created an efficient way of bulk-deleting old email attachments (or simply giving the option to download attachments from new emails WITHOUT keeping the attachment in Mail and the Mail attachments folder).

Also, it remains to be seen whether or not "Remove attachments" actually deletes the attachments from the "Mail attachments" folder, or if it just deletes the attachment access from Mail but keeps the files in the folders...

Deleting Mail attachments

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.