Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I need to our companies MAC Book Pro to factory settings - We do not have the Recovery Key and I cant get to the disk utility - what do I need to do?

I need to reset our company's MAC Book Pro to factory settings - We do not have the user password or the Recovery Key and I cant get to the disk utility - what do I need to do?

Posted on Jun 4, 2021 12:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 4, 2021 12:53 PM

Hi Rick,

You can reset the Mac back to factory settings without needing the password. To do so, you'll need to erase the Mac, then reinstall macOS.

How to erase an Intel-based Mac - Apple Support

How to erase a Mac with Apple silicon - Apple Support

How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

EDIT: You mentioned not being able to get to Disk Utility. In that case, follow these steps to erase the Mac:

1. Start up in macOS Recovery.
  2. When you're asked for an administrator password, go to the top of the screen and select Recovery Assistant -> Erase Mac.
  3. Follow the onscreen instructions to erase the Mac.
1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 4, 2021 12:53 PM in response to Rick2fromNH

Hi Rick,

You can reset the Mac back to factory settings without needing the password. To do so, you'll need to erase the Mac, then reinstall macOS.

How to erase an Intel-based Mac - Apple Support

How to erase a Mac with Apple silicon - Apple Support

How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

EDIT: You mentioned not being able to get to Disk Utility. In that case, follow these steps to erase the Mac:

1. Start up in macOS Recovery.
  2. When you're asked for an administrator password, go to the top of the screen and select Recovery Assistant -> Erase Mac.
  3. Follow the onscreen instructions to erase the Mac.

I need to our companies MAC Book Pro to factory settings - We do not have the Recovery Key and I cant get to the disk utility - what do I need to do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.