Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 2nd Generation

I purchased a second hand Apple TV (2nd Generation) and have tried to log in with my Apple ID. I put the username and password in correctly and I get the two stage verification code pop up on iPhone to input but it states on the Apple TV screen that ID or password are incorrect and I cannot proceed. I know its correct due to the verification notification but I cannot get any further? Any suggestions?

Posted on Jun 4, 2021 2:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 5, 2021 12:58 PM

If you have an Apple TV (2nd or 3rd generation) and two-factor authentication for your Apple ID, then you may be asked to type your password followed by the six-digit verification code directly into the password field. Additionally, there is a time limit, after which the code becomes invalid.

Try this: First enter the characters of your password (do not submit yet), then manually request a new verification code, then append that code to the password (no spaces or other separating characters), and then submit. That should help you get passed the time limit.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 5, 2021 12:58 PM in response to Tipper-D

If you have an Apple TV (2nd or 3rd generation) and two-factor authentication for your Apple ID, then you may be asked to type your password followed by the six-digit verification code directly into the password field. Additionally, there is a time limit, after which the code becomes invalid.

Try this: First enter the characters of your password (do not submit yet), then manually request a new verification code, then append that code to the password (no spaces or other separating characters), and then submit. That should help you get passed the time limit.

Jun 5, 2021 10:59 AM in response to Tipper-D

Hello there, Tipper-D!

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities! That's a great question you have asbout entering your verification code on the Apple TV (2nd generation). Check out this article for Two-factor authentication for Apple ID. Specifically:

"What if I use two-factor authentication on a device running older software?

If you use two-factor authentication with devices running older OS versions—like an Apple TV (2nd or 3rd generation)—you might be asked to add your six-digit verification code to the end of your password when signing in. Get your verification code from a trusted device running iOS 9 and later or OS X El Capitan and later, or have it sent to your trusted phone number. Then type your password followed by the six-digit verification code directly into the password field."

We hope this helps and wish you the best!

Apple TV 2nd Generation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.