Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you setup an Apple Watch SE that has GPS only if owner doesn't have an iPhone?

Tried to setup an Apple Watch SE with my iPhone 12 for my cousin who I added to Family Sharing. Her Apple Watch SE has GPS only so according to the setup procedures I could not setup her phone. It seems to want to do something then shows a message that Apple Watch 4 cellular is required for Family Sharing.

I setup my Apple Watch SE with only GPS in less than 3 minutes her's has me stumped.

My question is how can she setup her Watch with out buying an iPhone.

Apple Watch

Posted on Jun 4, 2021 2:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 4, 2021 2:58 PM

See the 'What you need' section in:

Set up an Apple Watch for a family member - Apple Support

It says:

An Apple Watch Series 4 or later with cellular,* or Apple Watch SE with cellular, with watchOS 7 or later.

* A cellular plan isn't required to set up an Apple Watch for a family member, but is necessary for some features.

So, I suggest if you want a definitive answer to contact Apple Support.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 4, 2021 2:58 PM in response to curtwisconsin

See the 'What you need' section in:

Set up an Apple Watch for a family member - Apple Support

It says:

An Apple Watch Series 4 or later with cellular,* or Apple Watch SE with cellular, with watchOS 7 or later.

* A cellular plan isn't required to set up an Apple Watch for a family member, but is necessary for some features.

So, I suggest if you want a definitive answer to contact Apple Support.

Jun 4, 2021 3:08 PM in response to curtwisconsin

Family Setup for Apple Watches requires cellular models, it cannot be done on GPS only watches since it would mean the watch would have no ability to do anything. It can't use the paired iPhone's cellular service, nor would it have one of its own.

What you want can't be done, because it would limit the usage of the Apple watch to basically just telling the time.

How do you setup an Apple Watch SE that has GPS only if owner doesn't have an iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.