Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can’t Edit Microsoft Word Files

I have an IPad Air, and I have downloaded the Microsoft Word app.

Sometimes, I can edit documents from iCloud. Other times, I cannot.

The documents are not locked. They are all in the same place. I can open all documents, but only edit some of the documents.

I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling the Word app. I have closed and reopened ICloud. I have updated my operating system to the latest.

Nothing works!

Can anyone help me? Thanks.

iPad, iOS 9

Posted on Jun 4, 2021 3:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 4, 2021 6:17 PM

We’re not Apple, we’re other users like you.

Whether or not this is an Apple bug and it may well be, the bug is exposed via Microsoft apps.

Which means starting with Microsoft.

As an alternative to a less-than-working Office app, see if Apple Pages works for your documents. Or Google docs. Or try the web version of Office 365. Or Dropbox Paper, if you use Dropbox. Or Collabra Online. Microsoft has competition.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 4, 2021 6:17 PM in response to wini288

We’re not Apple, we’re other users like you.

Whether or not this is an Apple bug and it may well be, the bug is exposed via Microsoft apps.

Which means starting with Microsoft.

As an alternative to a less-than-working Office app, see if Apple Pages works for your documents. Or Google docs. Or try the web version of Office 365. Or Dropbox Paper, if you use Dropbox. Or Collabra Online. Microsoft has competition.

Jun 4, 2021 6:00 PM in response to MrHoffman

Thanks for your thoughts.

Alas, Microsoft said it was an Apple iPad problem. They said if it was a Microsoft issue, I’d have gotten an error message. Apple says it’s an app problem (that is, Microsoft). So I’m stuck in between.

I have a brand new IPad and and just downloaded the newest Word app. I have the most up-to-date operating system installed.

Thanks. Any other thoughts?

Jun 4, 2021 6:39 PM in response to wini288

If you have an original model iPad Air then the problem is the age of your device and the inability for it to run a newer version of iOS (your signature tag line says iPad and iOS 9).

The iPad Air original version cannot be updated beyond iOS 12. And Microsoft’s policy is only to support the two. OST recent version of iPadOS and iOS (so 14 and 13 currently). As they make changes to both the free and paid Office account online services, those older versions of MS Mobile apps will develop ever more issues and lack of compatibility.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/microsoft-365-and-office-resources?ms.officeurl=systemrequirements%3fms.officeurl%3dsystemrequirements&rtc=1#coreui-heading-3b8v07b

Can’t Edit Microsoft Word Files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.