Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I copy my photo library to a disc inserted into the Apple USB SuperDrive

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jun 5, 2021 2:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 6, 2021 10:54 AM

If you want to store the image files for the photos in your library you must first export them out of the library to folders on the Desktop. I would suggest exporting the original version along with the XML file for each photo so you have the metadata (keywords, titles and descriptions, that were added to the photo) available in case you reimport them into a library in the future. The export window would be like this:

The photos would end up in folders named for the moment which is essentially the date and location.

Then you can drag the folders to onto the empty CD or DVD icon and then burn to disc by dragging the disc's icon to the Trash bin which will change to the burn icon.

If you're only burning specific photos then export them to a new folder on the Desktop (don't use the moments subfolder option) and burn the folder to disc.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 6, 2021 10:54 AM in response to RetroDuo

If you want to store the image files for the photos in your library you must first export them out of the library to folders on the Desktop. I would suggest exporting the original version along with the XML file for each photo so you have the metadata (keywords, titles and descriptions, that were added to the photo) available in case you reimport them into a library in the future. The export window would be like this:

The photos would end up in folders named for the moment which is essentially the date and location.

Then you can drag the folders to onto the empty CD or DVD icon and then burn to disc by dragging the disc's icon to the Trash bin which will change to the burn icon.

If you're only burning specific photos then export them to a new folder on the Desktop (don't use the moments subfolder option) and burn the folder to disc.

Jun 6, 2021 6:52 AM in response to TonyCollinet

I must have phrased my question wrong . . . I am attempting to use the Apple USB Drive to copy photos from my MacBook Air Photo Ap to a blank DVD. This is my first time transferring anything to a disc using the external drive. I have not been able to find any instructions online other than how to plug the device in. Is there even an operating manual around? Or can anyone explain the steps to copying files to the disc. When I connected the Apple USB Drive to my MacBook, the Disc Utility popped up on the toolbar. But then what??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.