Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I save QuickTime videos to external hard drive or somewhere else?

What steps do I need to take? What type of external hard drive would I need? In the videos there is also audio?

I just need it to be somewhere else so I can use it when I want but also have space on Mac as I have too many recordings and they won't save on Mac anymore!

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Jun 5, 2021 6:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 6, 2021 4:23 AM

You can copy the files through the Finder. I think that would be the easiest.

Any external hard drive with enough disk space would work. You want this to be a solution for the future, so don’t be skimpy on disk space (think multiple Terabytes). Do you intend to edit the files directly from the external disk, or is it just playback and archive? In case of editing, a fast connection (e.g. USB-C 3.2 Gen 2) is much more important.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 6, 2021 4:23 AM in response to rubab292

You can copy the files through the Finder. I think that would be the easiest.

Any external hard drive with enough disk space would work. You want this to be a solution for the future, so don’t be skimpy on disk space (think multiple Terabytes). Do you intend to edit the files directly from the external disk, or is it just playback and archive? In case of editing, a fast connection (e.g. USB-C 3.2 Gen 2) is much more important.

Jun 6, 2021 11:25 AM in response to rubab292

For mechanical hard drives, go with Western Digital, Toshiba or Seagate (Seagate makes some of the most reliable disks). As they make drives themselves. Other brands just fill an enclosure with the cheapest stuff they can find. Mechanical hard drives may be bulkier, heavier, slower, but still offer the best price per GB.

For SSD drives (smaller, faster, fast wake), again go with OEM manufacturers, but there are a lot more than three. E.g. SanDisk, Seagate, Western Digital, Samsung, Lexar. OWC (not OEM) is I think trustworthy in their selection, but never as sleek design as OEM can deliver.

How can I save QuickTime videos to external hard drive or somewhere else?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.