Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Formatting my Macbook

Hi!

I'm planning to factory reset my Macbook.

I have some photos saved on my iPhotos. Will those get deleted too, or can they be retrieved when I log back in with my Apple ID after the reset?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Jun 5, 2021 8:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 6, 2021 12:08 PM

If by "factory-reset", you're wanting to completely erase for Mac - possibly for resale, or just to start clean again - and you're concerned about losing data, there are some steps you can do before you do this.

I am going with the notion that you're paying for additional storage for iCloud. If not, I recommend you do.

Go to System-Preferences -> AppleID -> check "photos" to sync with iCloud. Best to make sure everything is checked for iCloud. If it is already checked, then your photos are already on the cloud, and will by synced back to your Mac - or any Mac - when you re-enter your AppleID.

You should make a backup of your machine just in case there are files somewhere that have not been backed up, or part of your iCloud integration.

You can also log into iCloud.com and view the photos that are currently synced to iCloud. If all your photos are there, you're good to go.

Follow the attached instructions. If you want to start with a completely clean machine, enter "Disk Utility" first and erase your entire Mac. When wiped out, exit out of disk utility and follow the instructions for reinstalling MacOS.

Good luck.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 6, 2021 12:08 PM in response to firman259

If by "factory-reset", you're wanting to completely erase for Mac - possibly for resale, or just to start clean again - and you're concerned about losing data, there are some steps you can do before you do this.

I am going with the notion that you're paying for additional storage for iCloud. If not, I recommend you do.

Go to System-Preferences -> AppleID -> check "photos" to sync with iCloud. Best to make sure everything is checked for iCloud. If it is already checked, then your photos are already on the cloud, and will by synced back to your Mac - or any Mac - when you re-enter your AppleID.

You should make a backup of your machine just in case there are files somewhere that have not been backed up, or part of your iCloud integration.

You can also log into iCloud.com and view the photos that are currently synced to iCloud. If all your photos are there, you're good to go.

Follow the attached instructions. If you want to start with a completely clean machine, enter "Disk Utility" first and erase your entire Mac. When wiped out, exit out of disk utility and follow the instructions for reinstalling MacOS.

Good luck.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

Jun 6, 2021 11:59 AM in response to firman259

What are you trying to do exactly.

A factory reset would be booting into Internet Recovery, erasing the drive and installing the system that the MacBook was delivered with. Is that what you want?

Are you upgrading your system or just updating it?

Why do you feel you need to erase the drive to do that?

If you're going to trade in the MacBook, sell it or give it away then follow this Apple document: What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support  

Formatting my Macbook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.