Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Command + Tap to Click bug, MacBook Pro M1 13"

Hello,

When I try to open a link in a new tab in any browser by performing the "Command + Tap to Click" it doesn't work from time to time.

Finally, I managed to figure out the exact conditions to reproduce the bug consistently though it is still hard to to describe it 100% accurately.

So, on any web page you hover any link when after a small fraction of a second (it is the trickiest part to find the proper one) you push the Command key and after that almost immediately tap the touchpad. Nothing won't happen. Then, on a third tap or so the page will be opened in a new tab.

Arbitrary, I reproduce this bug around 30% of the time during casual web surfing which is extremely annoying.

Looks like a pure software bug to me and should be easily fixed.

Does anyone have this too?

Thanks,

Vladimir

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jun 6, 2021 3:27 AM

Similar questions

8 replies

Jun 7, 2021 6:59 AM in response to kvladimir

Hi kvladimir,

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities. We understand that sometimes the Command + Tap to Click shortcut doesn't work and we'd be happy to help! To help isolate and resolve this issue let's try the troubleshooting steps below and check to see if the problem is still there after each one: 

1. Quit all open apps: Quit apps on Mac
  2. Restart your Mac: Log out, sleep, wake, restart, or shut down your Mac
  3. Start up your Mac in safe mode
  4. Create another user account: Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

Let us know if this helps.

Take care.

Jun 7, 2021 7:11 AM in response to kvladimir

kvladimir wrote:

Hello,

When I try to open a link in a new tab in any browser by performing the "Command + Tap to Click" it doesn't work from time to time.

Finally, I managed to figure out the exact conditions to reproduce the bug consistently though it is still hard to to describe it 100% accurately.

So, on any web page you hover any link when after a small fraction of a second (it is the trickiest part to find the proper one) you push the Command key and after that almost immediately tap the touchpad. Nothing won't happen. Then, on a third tap or so the page will be opened in a new tab.

Arbitrary, I reproduce this bug around 30% of the time during casual web surfing which is extremely annoying.

Looks like a pure software bug to me and should be easily fixed.

Does anyone have this too?

Thanks,
Vladimir

Did you try changing the sensitivity of the track pad action...(?)

>System Preferences>Trackpad

Command + Tap to Click bug, MacBook Pro M1 13"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.