Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Key replacement difficulty

Hi, one of the alphanumeric keys on my 2016 13” MBP came loose, but was otherwise working fine. To solve the key itself sometimes coming off as I typed, I ordered a replacement key - the package included the key, cup and butterfly mechanism (picture below).

a YouTube tutorial illustrated how everything can be removed before being replaced with the new set. The old butterfly mechanism could be prised off, but what’s left (other picture) seems completely unmovable. And I can’t fit the new butterfly unit around it. From the close up picture below, do I need to try again to remove the plastic bit shown? It feels completely glued on.

or have I messed everything up?!

Thank you for helping.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 6, 2021 5:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 6, 2021 10:33 AM

Second update: seems to be (at least partially) solved. Leaving this up in case helpful for anyone finding this thread.

1. I used a flathead screwdriver to disassemble the replacement key, after lifting it from the keyboard, and essentially start again
  2. Resting the plastic cup element in the gap still produced an inconsistent response to pressing the key... until I pressed hard enough for it to suddenly snap into place
  3. Once I realised that made all the difference, I prised it back out, put the butterfly piece in first, and then managed to press the plastic cup in such that it stuck
  4. And then fitted the key cover on top of that, as normal - starting at the bottom, and then pushing the top until it clicked

It now stays in place and works as intended. The only downside is that the key isn't illuminated... I'm not sure if that's a function of the replacement key, or if I damaged something, or what. Either way, it works.

Hopefully helpful for anyone finding this.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 6, 2021 10:33 AM in response to JH_UK

Second update: seems to be (at least partially) solved. Leaving this up in case helpful for anyone finding this thread.

1. I used a flathead screwdriver to disassemble the replacement key, after lifting it from the keyboard, and essentially start again
  2. Resting the plastic cup element in the gap still produced an inconsistent response to pressing the key... until I pressed hard enough for it to suddenly snap into place
  3. Once I realised that made all the difference, I prised it back out, put the butterfly piece in first, and then managed to press the plastic cup in such that it stuck
  4. And then fitted the key cover on top of that, as normal - starting at the bottom, and then pushing the top until it clicked

It now stays in place and works as intended. The only downside is that the key isn't illuminated... I'm not sure if that's a function of the replacement key, or if I damaged something, or what. Either way, it works.

Hopefully helpful for anyone finding this.

Jun 6, 2021 6:21 AM in response to JH_UK

Update!

I found comments under the tutorial saying the plastic bit is indeed glued on and needs force to come off. I managed that, but now two different problems:

1 - the whole key now doesn’t stay in place. There was talk in the tutorial comments about using glue but reluctant to do that if it’s irreversible

2 - it only registers a key stroke when I press the key very very hard.

the picture of the key is the right way up - in case that’s important.

not sure if I need to take all the key components apart again, and if adhesive is advised. Thanks in advance!

Key replacement difficulty

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.