Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro "return" key replacement procedure

I have a 2019 MacBook Pro, and a few days ago, my return key got damaged (it started to not get pressed well), so I decided to take it out in order to replace it. The problem is that I ended up breaking that kind of silicone, flexible material which keeps the key mechanism in its place.

My question is, what should I use in order to "glue" the key replacement back in the original place?

PD: The key is working perfectly, it's just how do I permanently attach it back to its socket as it should be?.

Posted on Feb 6, 2022 5:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2022 7:57 PM

FYI, you should have had Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider examine the laptop as it may have qualified for a free Apple keyboard repair program (it won't now):

https://support.apple.com/keyboard-service-program-for-mac-notebooks

Did the center silicone cup tear off or just the silicone dust cover? I would not even worry about attempting to fix the silicone dust cover.

If the silicone cup tore off, then the key won't work without it. While you may be able to superglue the silicone cup back into place, it definitely depends on how it tore off. I doubt it will last for long at all and you need to be very careful not to get glue in the wrong places. When this has happened, I will take an old identical keyboard and cut off the silicone cup and a bit of plastic around the base of the silicone cup in order to get a nice surface for the superglue. The problem with gluing the broken silicone cup you have is that glue does not really stick to silicone and you are trying to glue a flexible item. The base of the silicone cup will flex when the key is press so it will fail in short order.

You also need to be very careful reattaching the key cap since it is very easy to break the lugs on the key cap and the scissor/butterfly mechanism.

FYI, here is the current list of the publicly acknowledged free repair programs for various Apple products:

https://support.apple.com/service-programs

Similar questions

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 7, 2022 7:57 PM in response to Redondelos

FYI, you should have had Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider examine the laptop as it may have qualified for a free Apple keyboard repair program (it won't now):

https://support.apple.com/keyboard-service-program-for-mac-notebooks

Did the center silicone cup tear off or just the silicone dust cover? I would not even worry about attempting to fix the silicone dust cover.

If the silicone cup tore off, then the key won't work without it. While you may be able to superglue the silicone cup back into place, it definitely depends on how it tore off. I doubt it will last for long at all and you need to be very careful not to get glue in the wrong places. When this has happened, I will take an old identical keyboard and cut off the silicone cup and a bit of plastic around the base of the silicone cup in order to get a nice surface for the superglue. The problem with gluing the broken silicone cup you have is that glue does not really stick to silicone and you are trying to glue a flexible item. The base of the silicone cup will flex when the key is press so it will fail in short order.

You also need to be very careful reattaching the key cap since it is very easy to break the lugs on the key cap and the scissor/butterfly mechanism.

FYI, here is the current list of the publicly acknowledged free repair programs for various Apple products:

https://support.apple.com/service-programs

Mar 24, 2022 5:28 AM in response to KatyBonedirt

KatyBonedirt wrote:

However, now I know not to go from the bottom of the key and pull from the top if I need to clean. The key cap is made to be cleaned but you have to make sure you lift from the top where it's clipped in to the butterfly mechanism and not the hinges side.

I'm glad you were able to refit the mechanism, but most times this will fail. You were extremely fortunate. I was only ever able to do so one time and even that was not a perfect job.

For everyone reading this thread, Keep in mind that some of the key caps are removed differently depending on the specific key and even the specific keyboard type as keyboards in different regions may have a key cap that is removed in a different manner. Even if the key cap is removed properly, the plastic on the key cap is so thin that it is extremely easy to crack the edge or break a clip. Removing the key cap is just half the battle since the key cap must also be reinstalled correctly without any mistakes. Even the slightest mistake will break the key cap and possibly the butterfly mechanism. These key caps are so fragile that even if you are successful in removing & reinstalling the key cap, the plastic clips may still be stretched ever so slightly which may make the key cap pop off in some situations.

Before even attempting to remove a key cap on a butterfly keyboard, make sure to try cleaning the keyboard with compressed air. Make sure to keep the can of compressed air completely upright or you may damage the laptop with the cold wet propellant that is released when the can is tilted. Here is an Apple article with details on how to use compressed air to attempt to clean the keyboard:

How to clean the keyboard of your MacBook or MacBook Pro - Apple Support

Feb 7, 2022 8:28 PM in response to HWTech

Well, just the dust cover tore off, but that's also what keeps the key in place, so I was wondering what could I use in order to put the key in its place. As I said, the mechanism is working perfectly, it's just that the key is floating in my keyboard instead of being fixed in its place because it is "unglued".

I wouldn't have doubted about taking my Mac to the free repair program, but I live outside of the US, in Ecuador, and even authorized Apple service is very mediocre here, for not saying extremely expensive for such simple jobs. That's why I came here looking for some help.

Feb 8, 2022 5:54 AM in response to Redondelos

The rubber membrane which surrounds the butterfly mechanism on the 2018 - 2019 models is only a dust jacket and is unnecessary. The rubber membrane does not hold the key cap in place.

All of Apple's keyboards have very fragile clips on the key cap and for most keys snap onto small lugs on the ends of the butterfly/scissor mechanism which are also very easily damaged. This is all that holds the key cap to the laptop.

[Edited by Moderator]

Feb 8, 2022 6:47 PM in response to Redondelos

You cannot reattach the butterfly mechanism. I have tried a few times and was only partially successful one time and even that damaged both the white butterfly mechanism and also the clear plastic you see in the key bay which is meant to hold the white butterfly mechanism. The white butterfly mechanism was never meant to be removed & replaced. Only the key cap was ever intended to be removable. I'm actually amazed that the butterfly mechanism can even be removed without completely breaking the small lugs (I cannot tell if they are bent/damaged).

Unfortunately you will need to have the whole Top Case/Keyboard Assembly replaced which will be expensive (over $500 US) since this part also includes the Trackpad, Battery, Touchbar, and Speakers.

Sorry for the bad news.

Feb 8, 2022 7:43 PM in response to HWTech

There's absolutely no way I am spending $500 for an entire keyboard in a three-year old computer if just one key is broken. That would be like demolishing a house just because the dog ate the couch.

I would buy a new computer with 500 bucks lol.

I will try to fix the key with a replacement I bought online, with the mechanism.

Wether I prove you wrong or not, I'll let you know. I hope my mechanical-engineer skills don't disappoint me this time.

If I don't succeed, it will remain as a battle scar for my beloved MacBook.

Mar 23, 2022 2:18 PM in response to HWTech

I came here because I also accidentally did the same thing as the original poster. However, I was able to successfully able to get a new butterfly mechanism back into place without damaging the keyboard. It takes patience though for sure. I slid one side in then using a small metal pick tool I have I kind of just "stretched" it enough to get the other clips in and my return key is as good as new!

However, now I know not to go from the bottom of the key and pull from the top if I need to clean. The key cap is made to be cleaned but you have to make sure you lift from the top where it's clipped in to the butterfly mechanism and not the hinges side.

MacBook Pro "return" key replacement procedure

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.