Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Earthlink mail server pop.earthlink.net not responding on iphone

Is anyone having this problem and if so PLEASE HELP. I cannot receive mail on my iphone using earthlink. I keep getting an error message tho' I can find nothing wrong with my account info,.

iPhone 8, iOS 14

Posted on Jun 6, 2021 10:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 7, 2021 10:05 AM

Hi starrboogie,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities! We appreciate you reaching out for help with your email account on iPhone, and are glad to help in any way we can, or point you in the right direction.

To start, please let us know more about what's going on. Are you seeing this message every time you try to check for new email messages, or is it happening when sending a message?

Have you had an opportunity to restart your device since noticing this behavior? If so, let us know which iPhone model and iOS version you're using. The version can be found under Settings > General > About.

Also, do you have any other mail accounts set up for use in the Mail app on iPhone? If so, is a similar issue affecting any other mail accounts?

If it's isolated to your Earthlink mail account, you'll want to refer to the instructions in this guide to further isolate the issue:

If you can’t send email on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Let us know if you've got any questions about these steps, or if you find that the issue persists.

Have a great day!

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 7, 2021 10:05 AM in response to starrboogie

Hi starrboogie,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities! We appreciate you reaching out for help with your email account on iPhone, and are glad to help in any way we can, or point you in the right direction.

To start, please let us know more about what's going on. Are you seeing this message every time you try to check for new email messages, or is it happening when sending a message?

Have you had an opportunity to restart your device since noticing this behavior? If so, let us know which iPhone model and iOS version you're using. The version can be found under Settings > General > About.

Also, do you have any other mail accounts set up for use in the Mail app on iPhone? If so, is a similar issue affecting any other mail accounts?

If it's isolated to your Earthlink mail account, you'll want to refer to the instructions in this guide to further isolate the issue:

If you can’t send email on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Let us know if you've got any questions about these steps, or if you find that the issue persists.

Have a great day!

Jun 7, 2021 1:00 PM in response to starrboogie

Hi starrboogie,

Thanks for the clarification. Do you have any other mail accounts configured that are experiencing similar issues? If so, does the issue remain when connecting your iPhone to another Wi-Fi network, and when using cellular data?

To isolate the issue further and determine where it lies, you'll want to verify first that you're able to sign into your Earthlink account directly on the webmail client from a web browser. To do this, visit Earthlink's website and attempt to sign in.

If you're able to sign in and view your email inbox on the website, you can verify that the mail settings are correct in the Settings app on your iPhone. Earthlink can supply the correct mail settings, or you may use the following tool from Apple to the recommended settings:

Mail - Official Apple Support

If you're able to confirm that the settings are correct, and the issue remains, we can recommend deleting the account, and then adding it back in Settings > Mail > Accounts.

It's important to note that deleting a POP mail account from your device will delete messages downloaded on your device. If those messages aren't visible on the Earthlink webmail client, they won't be recoverable.

If you find that the issue persists after adding the account back, you'll want to work with Earthlink directly at that point to investigate further.

Take care!

Jun 7, 2021 12:50 PM in response to starrboogie

The problem has gotten worse. I have an iphone 8, version 14.1. I have restarted my phone many times in an effort to fix the problem. The message I get when I try to get email is ALWAYS "account error cannot connect to the server for Earthlink. Mail can try to repair these settings". I click repair and the message is 'Cannot Get Mail The mail server 'pop.earthlink.net' is not responding. Verify that you have entered the correct account info in mail settings". Which I have! When I try to send the message is 'Cannot send Mail'. The user name or password for 'SMPT ' is incorrect. I mostly wanted to know if others have this problem, whether it's Apple's problem, or earthlink's. Or some combo - or simply because Mercury is in retrograde 😞. Whatever, it's super frustrating.

[Email Edited by Moderator]

Earthlink mail server pop.earthlink.net not responding on iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.