Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airdropped videos from my Macbook Air to my iPhone 12 do not transfer correctly

I airdropped two videos from my mac to iphone 12 but when i play the videos on the iphone, it shows only some frames of the video, like a slideshow. Audio is fine but the video is clearly corrupted.

I tried different videos, tried mov and mp4 files, tried updating Big Sur to the last version. None of this worked.

How can I fix this?

Posted on Jun 6, 2021 4:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 7, 2021 1:11 PM

Well I solved it and if anybody else is having the same problem, the solution is to airdrop every clip individually. When I select two videos at once and airdrop them, the videos get corrupted somehow.

So try airdropping every video separately if you are having this problem.

4 replies

Jun 7, 2021 12:17 PM in response to denizyenidunya

Hi denizyenidunya,

We're glad you've reached out for help with this issue you're experiencing after sending videos from your Mac to iPhone using AirDrop. Let's get to the bottom of this together.

To start, please let us know more about what's going on. What's the exact version of iOS installed on your iPhone 12? This can be found under Settings > General > About.

It sounds like this is occurring with every video you send, although they play correctly on your Mac. Is this correct?

Does similar behavior occur when watching videos recorded directly on your iPhone? Have you had a chance to restart both your iPhone and Mac before attempting again to send these videos?

What happens if you record a video with your iPhone, send it to your Mac using AirDrop, and then send it back to your iPhone and test playback?

The following guide has recommended steps to restart your iPhone:

Restart your iPhone - Apple Support

And here's a guide for Mac:

Log out, sleep, wake, restart, or shut down your Mac - Apple Support

Have a great day!

Jun 7, 2021 12:45 PM in response to denizyenidunya

Hi denizyenidunya,

Thanks so much for clarifying. You can see which video formats are supported by iPhone, you'll want to refer to the information listed under "Video Playback" in the technical specifications here:

iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 mini - Technical Specifications - Apple

Since you mentioned that you've tested using .mov and .mp4 file types, which should be compatible, we recommend reaching out to Apple Support directly to inquire further.

Find your preferred method of contact by visiting the Apple Support website here:

Get Support

Take care!

Jun 7, 2021 12:32 PM in response to jcasapple

Thanks for the reply, my ios version is 14.5.1

Yes they play correctly on my mac.

I tried restarting my phone and mac but it didn’t help.

Just now I recorded a video on my 12, airdropped the video to my mac, and again airdropped the video to my iphone 12. It seems that video plays normally.

About the videos I tried sending to my iphone at the start. I imported a film into my editing software and cut scenes from it, these scenes are the videos I’m trying to airdrop to my phone. Might the problem be about the export settings?

Airdropped videos from my Macbook Air to my iPhone 12 do not transfer correctly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.